will not start after a cold day; weeks later still no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will not start after a cold day; weeks later still no start

After being in a parking lot for a very cold day, my car wouldn't start. We tried to boost it and, while the lights worked, nothing else seemed to. We managed to push the car home (mostly downhill!) and get it plugged in. We tried gas line antifreeze and nothing. after being plugged in for a few days, the lights and the heat come on. but that is it. the car was very low on gas at the time so i put some more in. there were a few warm days but now it's back to being cold. i was wondering if i should try boosting and or gas line anti freeze again? it has also been suggested that i may have to replace my alternator. if anyone could give me some feedback on this topic that would be great. i know pretty much nothing about cars and would prefer to have this be something that i could potentially fix myself. thank you.

PLEASE READ THIS AND RE-POST YOUR QUESTION AFTER!

IT WILL GIVE ME HELP ON DIAGNOSING YOUR PROBLEM!

Comment

Does your starter work? Does the engine turn over? Is it carbed or FI? Let me know and I will see if I can help you figure it out
      Paul
      91GL
      Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

the starter is about 6 monthes old, so I'm hoping that is not the problem. in the beginning the engine turned over but now when i try to start it i can barely hear anything (a very low hum).

it's a 89 festiva L , 2 door automatic. . . i forgot to mention that before.

Comment

and how old is the battery????

is battery voltage at 12.0 volts??

is there good connection at the starter? at the battery?

Comment

12.0v is considered dead (0% charge)
            12.2v = 25%
            12.35v = 50%
            12.5v = 75%
            12.65v = 100%

if the battery shows about 10v - 10.5v, and boosting/jumping doesn't help, then one of the six cells in the battery is shorted. A shorted cell will draw down even a good battery and charging system in the boosting/jumping vehicle. Disconnect your battery, and try a borrowed battery.
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
            X