starter solenoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter solenoid?

I found a little switch at harbor freight. It is supposed to start a car from the engine bay. It has 2 alligator clips: one for the positive battery terminal, and one for the positive pin on the starter solenoid. Then its push-to-start. My question is, where is this fabled solenoid in the festiva (1990 model year) and which pin is it? I searched my shop manual and found nothing.

Edit- found the solenoid in the manual, but it doesn't disclose location or pinouts.

Edit 2- looks like its terminal "S" on the solenoid. Anybody have pics of this?
    Last edited by Basement_Modder; 05-11-2011, 06:32 PM.
    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

It is on the starter, right on top of the trans on drivers side, there is a small wire going to it, this is the one you want to hook up to.
    Make sure the car is in neutral, e-brake on before doing this.
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Will do. The ignition cylinder is removed currently, would this render it drivable? I know no electric systems will be connected...
      Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed

1993 rustless wonder

Comment

No, you would need to have the key in the on position to have the fuel pump/ecu and all running.
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

This will not work for that purpose. It will only crank the car over, but not let it run. You would also need a jumper wire to the coil + terminal, to the electric fuel pump, and to the ECU as well. Hope this helps.

Crazy beat me to it, but basically the same info as above...
          The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
          89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

No it wont be drivable. The ignition switch gives everything power that is needed to run the vehicle. Fuel pump, coil, injectors, etc. Also if I'm thinking right the steering wheel would be locked. That switch is more to help you if you're having a starting problem and it eliminates the need for a key turner.

Comment

The steering lock is off because the switch is ripped out. It does steer, I've tried it. Also, does anybody know the wires that go to the ignition switch that are bridged for power. I think 12v is the yellow one, but I'm not sure about the other one. If these are bridged, it should drive then, right? I need to drive it home when I buy it Friday/ Saturday, and will repair all cut wires and get a new cylinder after that.
              Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed

1993 rustless wonder

Comment

Borrow a truck/van/bighugecar with a hitch, go to U-Haul and pick up a car dolly.

Peace of mind. It might not just be the ignition switch afterall, it could just plain not start...

Diagnose it at home at your convenience.
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

GET a FACTORY MANUAL...
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    GET a FACTORY MANUAL...
                    I have one.

Originally posted by crazyrog17
                    Borrow a truck/van/bighugecar with a hitch, go to U-Haul and pick up a car dolly.

Peace of mind. It might not just be the ignition switch afterall, it could just plain not start...

Diagnose it at home at your convenience.
                    The guy I'm buying it from says he'll tow it for me if we can't get it started. He's also getting me a new ignition switch later from a scrapyard.
                    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed

1993 rustless wonder

Comment

Yeah dude just tow it. Don't go cutting wires....

Comment

Originally posted by 89newb View Post
                        Yeah dude just tow it. Don't go cutting wires....
                        I can solder them back. I don't care about wires that get cut.
                        Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed

1993 rustless wonder

Comment

Working...
                        X