front wheel bearing races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front wheel bearing races

What's a good way to remove and install front wheel bearing races if you don't have the special tools mentioned in the online shop manual posted in the forums? Is it okay to just drive them out with a punch or equivalent? A search of the forums pulled up one account of using the old races to "pound in" the new. What holds the races onto the knuckle? Don't know what to expect here. I was surprised to find new races in the boxes with the new bearings. Didn't realize they had to be replaced too. Thanks.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

You can use a punch, drive it out as even as possible to avoid and gouging of the housing.
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

^ yup! and when installing the new races, if i'm in a bind, i'll use a socket that fits the hole and use that to drive the new race in (IIRC it's a 36mm socket that fits).
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I used the old races to drive in the new and that worked great, with a piece of wood and a hammer.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
        X