getting a festy running again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting a festy running again

I have a 91 festiva that has not been driven in at least 3 years. In fact I've never tried to start it. The previous owner told me it ran fine but had a hole in the transaxle case. The solution to the hole was to pour in gear oil on a continual basis. So I'm sure the transaxle is shot. I'm hopefully going to get around to getting the engine running this summer. So my question is, what should I do, if anything, before hooking up a battery and cranking it over. I'm sure I will need to do something about the gas if it has any in the tank. I'll check the fluid levels. What else should I do?

I'd definitely drain any fuel/crud from the tank.
    And pull the sender/pump and see what the filter looks like.
    Replace if necessary.
    With the send/pump out of the way, you can get a good look into the tank and see if you have accumulated rust/crud. It's much easier to clean out this way too. Flushing anything out via the drain bolt hole.
    I'd pull the plugs an drop in a table spoon full of oil into the cylinders and let it sit over night. Then with fuel pump disconnected and the primary wire removed from the coil I'd crank it a few times. Might want to change the oil and filter first.
    Once you get it up and running I'd keep a close eye on the color of the oil and see if it's picking up crud from sitting so long.

Anyway the hole, provided it it hasn't spider cracked the rest of the case, might be welded. It aluminum so you'd need someone who can work with aluminum, a skill not as common as welding steel and iron. The festiva tranny is pretty rugged, not bullet proof, but a cheap welding operation may buy you time to find a new tranny.
    Good luck!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

...and then take it for a test drive up through Kananaskis Country, say around July 16th

I have a 5-speed transmission sitting in the garage.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Pu241 thanks for the suggestions.

Ian, Kananaskis would be great. We will definately do it again sometime but probably not this year. After all, I'm one of only four original Westivians.
        Last edited by gottafesty; 05-14-2011, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Pu241 has covered the majority, the only thing I would add is replace the fuel filter under the hood a few times once you get it running to be sure you collect all the fine rust particles and varnish residule that didn't get flushed from the tank.

I have one here that set for several years and the varnish in the tank was like syrup. I have soaked it for 2 days with a gallon of carb/parts cleaner in it and sloshing it around from time to time with a half dozen 1/4 nuts to help out. It looks nice and shiney inside now. I will drain that all out and flush once more with a quart of atf and a gallon of gas to be sure I got the majority and then drain it one last time before I re-install it.
          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
          82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Also, with it being down so long, you will hear the lifters tapping.
            Due to no oil.
            You might want to use a thinner oil than normal to get those lifters filled with oil and refrain from reving it till the lifters are quiet.
            Others may have a better ideas in regards to this issue.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

well if you are mechanically inclined you can pull the rocker assemblies, pull out the lifter/lash adjusters, fill the oil resevoirs, re-install the lifter/lash adjusters and bolt them back on before you even fire it up. That way you can get a real good idea how much degraded oil contaminants you are gonna be dealing with too.
              91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
              82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
              85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

maybe it's just me, but i say throw a battery on it and fire it up!!! (after you check the oil level first). the reason i say this is, i have a multitude of cars (look at sig) and most of them sit for extended periods. NOT ONCE have i had any issues with just firing them up and throwing some fresh gas in them. just an example, Boo (who was crushed by a tree) has been sitting for over 2 years with the same fuel in the tank. I just pulled the tank last week to put in my dad's 88LX and the fuel that came out was still very useable (going into the John Deere) and there was no debris to speek of (had filters in between the tank and drain can). also the Fiero that i own has sat for over 5 years and i threw a battery in it and it fired and ran ok with 5 year old fuel and i'd have no issue with taking a battery to the 64 Corvair and running it on the 10 year old fuel in it's tank either (of course it runs better with fresh fuel, but you get the point).
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ive got one that sat for a bit, I'm trying to get it going now. The carb is totally clogged and it won't idle at all.
                  Last edited by GETTINGGROCERIES; 07-22-2011, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X