Starting to replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to replace

I've had the car for 2 months. Been averaging about 37 mpg. I drive 144 miles a day. I've took everything out of car. Carpet, panels, part of dash this car was dirty! Now I've replace valve cover gasket, fuel pump, fuel filter, pcv valve, changed oil twice, Alternator belt, spark plugs, spark plug wires and sea foamed it. The sparks on coil stopped going to the grounding wires when I changed spark plug wires. How much more mpg will I see with new wires? And what should I do next? I want to get engine running good and dependable before working on interior. I really like the post about the interior were the guy put wood inside the back panel area but I can't find that post now. Any thoughts would be great! Thanks.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    First time owner
    89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
    Bought for mpg and only paid $250

i would say swap out the 22 year old coil... why put in new plugs and wires if you don't know how strong your coil is? i use Accel coils in my cars and they LOVE them.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Just not pleased with 38.8 mpg lol. Can I do more?

First time owner

Comment

with the festiva you can always do more. just need the creativity, help and no how

Comment

Lol. Ok. I'm looking for the help.

First time owner

Comment

take weight out of the car. back seat, carpet, plastics.

Comment

This is going to sound rude, but nothing you can physically do to any automobile will make as much difference as simply learning to drive.

Visit ecomodder.com, read the 101+ hypermiling tips. 50mpg shouldn't be out of reach for a Festiva with manual trans and decent driving habits.

Comment

Don't let other people ride in your festy, they slow it down unless they're hot...
                Owner of:
                1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                In progress:
                BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
                  Don't let other people ride in your festy, they slow it down unless they're hot...
                  Shooting for personal MPG, that's great thinking. Average mpg per head, though, is a diff story. My GMC 2500 Savanna averages almost 85mpg for 60% of it's miles today. Of course, that's considering 5 heads at 16.3mpg each, which was the actual trip average mpg for the van.

If another person in the Festiva lowers your trip MPG by 1 or 2, you still effectively doubled your "man miles per gallon", or pretty close. Split the fuel costs for that trip, and you end up paying just over 50% of your normal trip cost, still an economic advantage.

Comment

Always by myself. Car came with no backseat. I've been changing driving habits. 38.8 was with me working on it this weekend. So I had to let it sit and idle a bit but I don't think I let it idle long enough to make that big of difference.

First time owner

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
                      I've had the car for 2 months. Been averaging about 37 mpg. I drive 144 miles a day. I've took everything out of car. Carpet, panels, part of dash this car was dirty! Now I've replace valve cover gasket, fuel pump, fuel filter, pcv valve, changed oil twice, Alternator belt, spark plugs, spark plug wires and sea foamed it. The sparks on coil stopped going to the grounding wires when I changed spark plug wires. How much more mpg will I see with new wires? And what should I do next? I want to get engine running good and dependable before working on interior. I really like the post about the interior were the guy put wood inside the back panel area but I can't find that post now. Any thoughts would be great! Thanks.

^^^The hardwood floor was me, lol. I cant seem to find any pix of it! WTH? lol. Found pix of it all but them.
                      93L sold. First FESTY!
                      91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
                      91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
                      89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
                      93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
                      89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
                      93GL Sold Too Soon!
                      91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
                        Always by myself. Car came with no backseat. I've been changing driving habits. 38.8 was with me working on it this weekend. So I had to let it sit and idle a bit but I don't think I let it idle long enough to make that big of difference.

Your car is manual trans, right?
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yeap manual. 4 speed

First time owner

Comment

Since you are not in California id take off that carb and use an aftermarket carb.

Locate a 5 speed transmission out of a festiva or aspire. If you do more city driving than highway an aspire would fit your needs slightly better. Aspires are in the junkyards more often, as festivas are long gone usually.
                            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Highway miles 99% off the time. What changed carb?

First time owner

Comment

Working...
                              X