89 L, EFI, Automatic, Brain cramp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 L, EFI, Automatic, Brain cramp

Here's my story. I hope your brain don't cramp up like mine has this last 3 weeks working on this car. I bought it from a friend of mine (his daughters school car). As she was driving, it just quit. He pulled it home and never messed with it, and it sat for 1 & 1\2 yrs till I bought it. ($100 bucks with new tires). I bought this car to put a twin cyl. Briggs engine in, but since it only has 130k miles I figured I'd get it running and drive it till it drops first.

New batt., new cap & rotor, wires, coil. Timed. Fuel pressure is good, all fuses and links are good. Power to coil and Power relay is good.

Problems are:
    1. No spark out of coil
    2. Noid testers not lighting
    3. I'm getting brain damage trying to figure this out

The engine cranks over good, and lights wipers, blinkers, etc work fine.
    I'm now thinking the computer is bad. Can the computer box be pulled and taken to a dealer and plugged in to be tested? Or do they need the whole car intact? Or is there anyway to test it myself?
    Please help before I need a steel plate put in my skull!

Thanks
    Briggs

not sure if the 89 has an ignition module or not, but if so check it. Redfesty had everything else checked and it was the dang icm that kept it from "catching".

Comment

ok, looking at rockauto the ICM for the 89 is different than on the 91, but i would still see about getting it checked. The O'Reillys auto parts in my area checks them for free.

Comment

if you have no spark AND no injector pulse, you need to swap out your DIZZY. within the dizzy is your cam position sensor and that tells the injectors and IM to pulse.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll check that out.

Comment

New distributor is in. I definatly have spark now, noids still not lighting.

Comment

check for power to the injectors, and also check your EGI fuseable link (could be dirty).
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Still beating my head against the wall... My fuseable links in/out are all good. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
                Last edited by briggs; 06-01-2011, 08:14 AM. Reason: found it

Comment

Pull the disty cap and disty, turn your key to the on position, rotate the rotor by hand and see if you hear the injectors clicking. If not then probably your pickup isn't sending reference to your computer, or the computer isn't sending reference to the injectors.
                  Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 06-01-2011, 09:58 AM.
                  89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                  My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

I'll try that. I'm pretty much down to bad computer, but I really hope not.

No injector clicking. I know they're good, I had them out last week and they all clicked on the bench.
                    Last edited by briggs; 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM.

Comment

ECU's on the boards aren't usually too expensive... I imagine you'd be able to post a [WTB] with some quick results.
                      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Hope you made sure to put the disty back in the same position or you will have ignition timing problems.
                        89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                        My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Yep, it's back in the same position it came out as. And yesterday I double checked to make sure I wasn's 180 off.

Comment

Check grounds. Power to the fuel pump? Can you hear it hummming? is your inertia button popped? Check efi main relay for power( yellow/blue wire atleast o
                            In my 1990) under dash driver side. Let us know the outcome

Comment

Yeah Agro, did all that. It's getting pretty depressing after a month at it. Rebuilt comp. is on it's way.

Comment

Working...
                              X