Noid Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noid Light

i have been searching for a while now and the noid light is now necessary for diagnosing my car but before dropping $30 on a kit with lights ill never need i was wondering if anybody has made there own and if they have pics on how.

untested, no warrenty, legal disclaimer goes here, yadda yadda.

Comment

You can get those led strips at walmart that you can cut to size, under 10 bucks. Even vatozone should have them. Cut it to 4 and you should be good to go.

You can also take an injector from pickapart and destroy it so you have plug and play ends to your harness.
      Last edited by getnpsi; 05-17-2011, 02:12 PM.
      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

www.noidlight.com is just about useless. i read all 6 pages of there huge website and still found no help or advice on how to actually build one. just the tools and parts id need. I was thinking of taking one of those 9 led flashlights that harbor freight has for like two buck, running some wires from the positive and negative battery terminals inside, and then putting aligator clips on the other end so that they could "grab" the terminals of the injector plug. in my head, this would work....any suggestions?

Comment

Yeah that site sucks bad lol. You go in a circle with the links. Yeah as long as its a good signal to the wires with those tiny phone workers ali-clips you should be fine
          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I've used an ECM safe test light before. It was like $11 when I bought it. Has 2 LEDs and alligator clips that go to the battery. Just unplug the injectors one at a time and probe the leads with it. If these are like the GMs I've checked, one side should be hot in run and the other side should flash ground when cranking. If you only get a weak ground signal, it's probably an ECM issue (but it was already replaced, right?). If you get no signal, it may be a distributor issue (cam position sensor).
            91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
            92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
            95 Grand Prix SE DD
            Wife's Stuff:
            89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
            97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
            Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

Maybe there's something I'm not getting here, but you can borrow Noid Lights from most auto parts stores. That's what I did. Use the one for GM, I believe. It will fit your B series injector plugs.

Pics and info in this thread here, in my post #20:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

I got the kit from O'Reilly's. Use the GM PFI noid light.

Karl
              Last edited by Safety Guy; 05-17-2011, 11:20 PM.
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by link5186 View Post
                I've used an ECM safe test light before. It was like $11 when I bought it. Has 2 LEDs and alligator clips that go to the battery. Just unplug the injectors one at a time and probe the leads with it. If these are like the GMs I've checked, one side should be hot in run and the other side should flash ground when cranking. If you only get a weak ground signal, it's probably an ECM issue (but it was already replaced, right?). If you get no signal, it may be a distributor issue (cam position sensor).
                Thanks for the great info- could you plz post a pic of your ecm safe light? Thx.

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                Maybe there's something I'm not getting here, but you can borrow Noid Lights from most auto parts stores. That's what I did. Karl
                Karl theres nothing better than making your own for a couple bucks. That way you dont have to return it. But I know what your saying about borrowing from the Auto Zone.

And yes that NOIDLITE website is like a BLACK HOLE ! I didnt think I'd ever make it out !
                Last edited by nitrofarm; 05-18-2011, 06:29 AM.
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I just figure for something you'll use so rarely, just call ahead to whatever store you want to go to and confirm they have a Noid kit ready to borrow. Then borrow it when you go to pick up more brake cleaner, other parts, etc., or you will be in the area and return when it's convenient to you. No money spent at all, no time spent making something and you'll have an exact-fit test Noid to use!

On the other hand, if you aren't close to a shop, you use something a lot, and you already have most of the stuff to make something, then do it and be happy.

Karl
                  Last edited by Safety Guy; 05-18-2011, 06:35 AM.
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I broke down and bought the noid light set. May keep it when im done or resell on ebay or something

Comment

Working...
                    X