Oil leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leaks

What could be the sources of oil leaks? It's not leaking from under the car onto the ground. Maybe its just burning it that fast? Im using about 5-10 quarts a week. Driving 144 miles a day x 5 days. I'm think timing belt area. How hard is it to change cam seal and crank shaft seal.?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    First time owner
    89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
    Bought for mpg and only paid $250

both of those seals would show an external leak, especially if you're going through 5 qts in a week!

look for oil in your intake and throtle body, also in your vent tube and PCV tube. and if you're burning that much oil, your tail pipe should be super black and should also spew blue tinted smoke.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

No smoke. How can I look at the seals?

First time owner

Comment

And I do see oil around the timing belt area.
        First time owner

Comment

pull the top of the timing cover (4 10mm bolts)
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

What will I find?

First time owner

Comment

If there is oil on the inside of the plastic cover, or running down the side of the head under the pulley.big there isn't any major wetness, just some baked on greasy oil, then that's not the main source of your oil loss. When I got my blue Festiva, it leaked 2 qts bday 40 miles round trip. It was leaking from the cam seal, valve cover gasket and the distributor o-ring. It never smoked at all, just left a oil film on everyone's windshield that drive behind me. If there are no outward signs of leaking oil, you may want to try installing a catch can and see how much oil blow-by your getting.
              Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
              93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
              91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
              93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
              15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
              88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Use thicker oil to slow down the leak, until you can get this permanently fixed. If you're using 5W30, go to 10W40.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I've got a leak that looks like its at the end of the transaxle, right under the edge of the battery. It looks like there's a sensor on the front there (5-sod) that it might be coming from.

Where do you check.the.transaxle fluid.and what is it (no manual).
                  1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                  1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                  1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                  1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                  2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                  2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                  2005 Accord - wife's DD
                  2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                  2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

larry, please start your own thread and you will be gladly answered
                    J-S

'93L "Pepestiva" - 160 miles old Road Slave

Comment

Originally posted by js_og View Post
                      larry, please start your own thread and you will be gladly answered
                      I considered that, I don't want to hijack his thread, but the title is so searchable, i figured on trying thinking it might turn into a sticky. Plus, I hate pushing someone else's thread off the 1st page with something that at first glance, appears to be the same topic. Fine line I guess. I was trying to be considerate.
                      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                      2005 Accord - wife's DD
                      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

It's fine by me.

First time owner

Comment

Working...
                        X