Parking Brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Brake

Could any of you experienced festiva owners clue me in on why my car rolls away when the parking brake is on? Have had it in to a mechanic who could not fix but said mechanisms were all working properly.

Thanks!

jbear56
    JOHN

Well if the car is rolling away then the mechanisms are not working properly. I would take it to someone else.

Comment

Two common things that I have encountered.

1. Inside the drums there is a parking brake lever that commonly seizes. This could very likely be your problem.
      2. I had the same problem as you, so I went looking, and my e-brake literally broke before it connected onto the lever. This could be another possibility.

I hope this helps.

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
      -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

the cables rust out also, but i would check the mechanisms inside the drums.

i have gone thru 2 sets of e brake cables with my aspire swap, and now am going to put a line lock to hydraulically lock the rear brakes as a parking brake.

Comment

tried adjusting it yet? There is a 10mm nut just inside the console on the left side. Turn it a few cranks until the lever has tension about a 3rd of the way up and try it. If not then the issue is either a broken cable or the arms in the drums need to be addressed like the others have suggested.
          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
          82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Thanks for being so helpful, the advice really makes sense!

Comment

Working...
            X