Oil Leaking at bottom of Timing Belt Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leaking at bottom of Timing Belt Cover

I had some work done on my 92 Festi; they had to take the timing belt cover off.

A week after the repair I now now have oil spots on the concrete that were not there before. I can tell by looking at the bottom of that area that it is leaking.

Did he (mechanic) not get the bottom two bolts tight enough? Any suggestions for what I can tell the mechanic?

Actually I'm not much of a mechanic (change oil, plugs etc.). In looking at it I can't see the two bottom bolts. I'm guessing that the belts need taken off along with removing the 4 bolts for the main pulley and then the pulley has to come off to get at them?

Kevin

First of all, you should never have oil in your timing cover. this is extremely bad for the belt.

second, If it is coming from the timing cover there are two very important seals that could be culprit...the camshaft seal, and the crank seal. (both are the same part number).

move the airbox out of the way and take the timing cover off to be sure those seals are in fact where the oil is leaking from. if not, trace it further.

The four 10MM bolts you are referring to are for the water pump pulley. The serpantine belt can be removed by losening the 12mm nut on top of the alternator, sliding towards the front of the car. you will now be able to slide the belt over the pulleys and remove from engine bay.

next, remove the four 10mm bolts holding the water pump pulley and remove the pulley.

Next there is either 4 or 5 10mm bolts the hold the top portion of the timing cover one. remove these to remove the top part of the timing cover. now with a flashlight check the camshaft seal and crankshaft seal for evidence of oil...if there is no oil, continue searching.

reassembly is reverse of these instructions. good luck with the leak

Comment

^ you're making me proud!
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

What else will need done/removed to replace that seal (assuming that is the cause)?

Comment

So it cam and crank seals are the same?

sent from my FESTIVA on me EVO phone
          First time owner
          89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
          Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

yes. if you go to mcparts store and need a crankshaft seal, ask for a camshaft seal. i have found the camshaft seal to be cheaper even though it is the same exact thing.

If you were to change the CAMSHAFT seal...picking up where my previous post left off, you would start by removing the cam gear. i believe the bolt is a 14MM along with the nut.here are steps...

1) Remove air tubing from throttle body
            2) Remove the valve cover gasket. Besure to have a new gasket and bolt sleeves for reassembly (this might require you to either losen the TB or remove the TB. Some valve covers can slipp pasted it for some reason and some cant.
            3) Once the valve cover is off you will use a 14MM open end wrench on the inside of the motor and your 14MM socket for the bolt on the cam gear. Using the open end to prevent the cam shaft from moving, you will turn the 14mm bolt that is in the cam gear towards the back of the car (counter clockwise.)

***Be very very carefull not to move the camshaft as this will throw off your timing and create another huge problem! (trust me, going threw it lol)
            4) now use a pick to remove the old seal. be careful not the scratch the block or the camshaft as this can cause problems.
            5) now use a socket that has the same diameter as the seal to put it into place. you should use your finger to apply a light coating of clean motor oil to the outside of the seal to assist with installation and seating.
            >>>You will first apply oil to the outside of seal
            >>>>Then position the seal in the hole as best as you can, using the camshaft as a guide
            >>>>>Place your DEEP socket on the seal and use a rubber maller to SLOWLY tap it in. this seal needs to be FLUSH around the entire circumfrence of the hole.
            6) reverse steps to reinstall camgear, belt, valve cover and valve cover gasket, and air tubing to throttle body.

"^ you're making me proud!" --FestYboY

lol Thanks dude...Im learning

EDIT: Now i never removed the CRANKSHAFT seal, but the one looks like it could be a million times easier to pull the motor because of how little room there is down there...i could be wrong lol
            Last edited by 89newb; 05-22-2011, 05:04 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Originally posted by 89newb View Post
              EDIT: Now i never removed the CRANKSHAFT seal, but the one looks like it could be a million times easier to pull the motor because of how little room there is down there...i could be wrong lol
              You don't have to remove the motor. Just remove the engine mount and drop the front of the engine with a floor jack. That should give you adequate access to the seal. If it's stubborn to get out, run a small sheet metal screw into each side of the steel seal body 180* apart. This gives you something to pull/pry on. If all else fails you can just pull the oil pump. I believe that's why you get a new oil pump gasket with the seal kit...it's probably the way you're "supposed" to change in their eyes LOL :mrgreen:
              Last edited by Zanzer; 05-22-2011, 10:39 PM.
              If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Speaking from experience...when you go to reinstall the water pump pulley, be sure to not over tighten. The threads are really easy to strip out.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                  Speaking from experience...when you go to reinstall the water pump pulley, be sure to not over tighten. The threads are really easy to strip out.
                  word...apparently so are the valve cover bolts. i busted the one right under the trottle body >.<

Comment

Any special tools needed to pull the pulleys off?

First time owner

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
                      Any special tools needed to pull the pulleys off?

usually is a 2 man for this. have freind or brother to put it in 5th gear and step on brakes while you use a breaker bar to pry it off.

Comment

What if you have 4 speed?

First time owner

Comment

Then put it on 4th gear

Comment

Hey - the oil leak was indeed a bad seal. That has been fixed. Any suggestions on where to find a replacement cover gasket, for the timing belt cover, i.e. the plastic shroud that covers the timing belt? The original is bad. Seen a couple on ebay but not sure.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have a new one in the garage and it would be a better deal than ebay.
                              How is your plastic cover? I have a good one of those also.

PM me if interested.
                              Last edited by 1990new; 05-26-2011, 03:59 PM. Reason: grammar / more info

Comment

Working...
                              X