stupid problem with festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid problem with festiva

Hay guys got a question for u. When i go outside to start my car all it will do is turn over no spark but gets fuel and when i do get it started it runs a little rough but then runs fine now if i hook up a jump box it will start just fine like nothing happen but still rought till it warms up any idea what that could be

Has it been raining there? I've noticed moisture can get in the distribiter (sp?) cap and cause the car not get spark, there for not to run. If this is the case, get a new cap/rotor
    -Josh R

Comment

Originally posted by 93festiva1 View Post
      ...When i go outside to start my car all it will do is turn over no spark but gets fuel ...
      How do you know you have no spark? No spark to all cylinders? How do you know you get fuel?

Check (and clean) all the connectors at the coil. There could be enough corrosion to mess up the ignition. Also check all your spark plug wires. While you are in cleaning mode, clean the battery posts and the clamps.

If you haven't done this in a while, get a new distributor cap and rotor. They are cheap!

If the above doesn't work, pull a plug and see how it looks. If you have a problem with rings or valve guide seals, they may be fouled and make it hard to start. And will run rough until they heat up.
      Oscar

Comment

checked the alternator at advance and it is fine it hasnt rain in a few days there is some corrosion on the cap i put my finger in each wire and didnt get shocked and i pulled the fuel line and fuel came out but im still stumped it will turn over all day long but wont start if u hook up a battery charger it will start right up and even if it gets hot once u cut it off thats it wont start agin

Comment

ok i pulled the coil wire and when its trying to start no spark but when u stop turning the key u get shocked once

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post

Check (and clean) all the connectors at the coil. There could be enough corrosion to mess up the ignition. Also check all your spark plug wires. While you are in cleaning mode, clean the battery posts and the clamps.
            Check (and clean) all the connectors at the coil, not just the HT wire to the distributor. Also, clean the battery posts and the clamps. Obey
            Oscar

Comment

just replaced the cap and rotor button and still noting

Comment

Maybe try a different battery, could be disty isn't getting proper voltage
                Ford Fester

Comment

just hooked it back up to the charger and tried it and nothing

Comment

all wires to coil are fine nothing wrong there ok since im stumped and in a bad mood i cant think does the distributor make the spark or does the coil maybe the coil is bad i dont know what to do im about to scrap this dame car

Comment

Neither. The spark happens at the spark plug (hence its name). The coil is basically an inductor that discharges when the primary circuit is disrupted by the electronic ignition. The distributor "closes" the circuit sending the current to the right plug. You shouldn't "test" it with your finger, tongue, or any other appendage.
                      Have you unplugged your primary terminals? If you are sure they are fine (after unplugging and cleaning them) then you may have a bad coil.
                      Oscar

Comment

anyone want to buy this car

Comment

Oh man, you are giving up too easily. Test it on metal, if you were testing it correctly and you determined there was spark I guarantee you would never do it again.
                          91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                          14 C7 Z51

Comment

im so done with this car guys im sorry but im getting a mustang tomarrow so if someone wants to buy this car make me a nice offer it ran dame good before this has the b6 in it

Comment

If you were close by, I would happily take it off your hands. Enjoy the mustang. Hopefully that one won't give you any electrical problems
                              Oscar

Comment

Working...
                              X