Where to get new axle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get new axle?

Don't know if this is right for the repair forum but would like to know who makes new drive axles for the Festiva and part number if available.

I bought a new axle off the Internet from Toronto but it was the wrong one and had to send it back. The maker was First Equipment Quality (China). Maybe they make one which fits? The distributor was AutoPartsWay.ca. I did not notice that their website had the same part number for the automatic and manual transmissions. The axle they sent was a replacement part number and not for either the automatic or manual.

There are two other options - buy a rebuilt in exchange for the old axle, or have the old axle rebuilt locally. Would like to check new axle first. Thanks.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Automatic is different than manual. I don't know why cv axles are so hard to get in canada.

Comment

Thank GOD for ebay. I may have to get one at that price.
      1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
      Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
      daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
      A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Auto and parts are not covered under NAFT (North American Free Trade). Canada insisted on keeping the existing Auto Pact to protect automotive jobs in Ontario. We end up with wierd prices and availablility up here. One fellow I know bought an axle for his Suzuki station wagon off eBay and had it delivered to UPS in New York state, then drove down and brought it over the border himself. Unfortunatley not an option for me.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
          Unfortunatley not an option for me.
          Maybe not, but at least two Canadian member are attending Ohiostiva and, if you ask nice, might be willing to transport an axles or two your way. Or at least get it into Canada for you.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

John wrote:

"Maybe not, but at least two Canadian member are attending Ohiostiva and, if you ask nice, might be willing to transport an axles or two your way. Or at least get it into Canada for you."

Yep. Here at FF.COM we occasionally specialize in "alternative options" to get around international rules of hierarchical BS.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I usually buy my stuff direct off Rockauto.
              I recently was able to get prices normally reserved for mechanics at a popular local dealer. Rockauto, even with their crazy shipping, was still 20$ cheaper for 170$ worth of part.
              J-S

'93L "Pepestiva" - 160 miles old Road Slave

Comment

Piston Ring here in Winnipeg hooked me up with a pair a few years ago
                89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                RIP 90LX

Comment

Working...
                X