belt squeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• belt squeal

My belt squeals every time I start my 91 fi and will continue to squeal for about 30 secs then go away. Any ideas?
    Ford Fester

replace the belt, it is probably riding low in the pulley. You can try adjusting, but if it's to worn it won't last long and it will be squealing again.
    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Could be loose alternator belt. If belt is loose it will squeel. There is a bolt you can loosen to push back the alt and tighten the belt.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

If it's been squealing for any length of time, get out a wire brush and clean the pulleys, scuff the belt, and then properly tension the belt on reinstallation.

Alot of people will disagree with this, but I carry an extra belt, and just run the one that's on it till it breaks. Doing so, I often end up selling the car to someone else with a spare belt, because I never end up changing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
          Could be loose alternator belt. If belt is loose it will squeel. There is a bolt you can loosen to push back the alt and tighten the belt.
          I had to do this often
          Previous owner of ZEFstiva

Comment

Tightened rlthe belt and no more squeal. Thanks guys
            Ford Fester

Comment

Careful when tightening belt. Too much will ruin bearings. New belt 'way cheaper than new bearings. To check belt tension lay a straight edge across the pulleys and press down with a ruler at the midpoint. Deflection should be 3/8".

When your bearings go you will hear a constant squeal. Make that two squeals, one from the bearings and one from the bank account.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
              X