Help me get it started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me get it started

I have a '90 festiva LX that won't sart. Its been sitting for almost a year. I dropped in a fresh battery and changed the oil. It will crank but that's all. How do I check if its getting spark? I also probably need to add starting fluid, but what else could it be? Its at 250k miles but ran before this.
    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

You really shouldn't need to use starting fluid, if everything is tuned properly, the engine will start. If it isn't, just fix the problems. Starting fluid is for engines that are old, worn, etc., or cold blooded (s which usually is a cover for being out of tune).

Comment

Start with the basics:
      Timing belt: broken, or slipped? If not broken, make sure the valve timing is OK.
      Distributor issues: getting spark? Plug wires in the proper order? Rotor not put on wrong?
      Fuel issues: is fuel getting to the rail? If not, is the fuel filter clogged? Is the pump working? Is the sock clogged? Is the gas fresh enough?

To check for spark, you could pull a plug, reattach the wire, then ground it to the engine while someone else cranks it over.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post

To check for spark, you could pull a plug, reattach the wire, then ground it to the engine while someone else cranks it over.
        If not lucky enough to have a "someone else" handy, you can make a starter button with alligator clips, wire, and a heavy duty push button, you attach a wire to the + on the battery, and to the small stud on the solenoid.

You can get an inline spark checker from most parts stores, Harbor Freight has them for a couple bucks.

If your going to pull the plugs, rent a comp tester. It'll tell you alot about your engine's condition.
        Last edited by Christ; 05-25-2011, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I am cranking it with a button. There's no ignition switch, lol. New timing belt on it, too. Just added gas. Filter is clogged, but I have a new one for it I'll be adding asap.
          Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed

1993 rustless wonder

Comment

Did you "add gas", or just put new gas in, and there was no old gas?

Old gas can be harder to burn, and can exacerbate small problems, making them seem like actual no start issues.

You should check that the fuel pump is providing ample pressure to the rail.

Comment

I'll chime in here: if 5 year old gas will run a low compression (8.7:1) engine, then 1 year old gas should easily light off in a higher compression engine (9.4:1). fiero had 5+ y/o gas in it and fired right up with a new battery, same for the 89L that sat for 3+ years.

look for fuel pressure and spark first.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I dont always suggest that gas be changed, but after sitting, condensation can contaminate the fuel, especially if there's a any ethanol in it. This, clearly, would be a problem, since you'd have water (possibly water/alcohol) at the pickup of the fuel pump.

The gas in Steve was at least a year old, and aside from smelling like turpentine, it still ran the engine fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Basement_Modder View Post
                  I am cranking it with a button.
                  Maybe you are using the wrong button?
                  Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                  Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                  Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                    Maybe you are using the wrong button?
                    Then it wouldn't crank. Its between +12v on the battery and the positive side of the starter solenoid.
                    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed

1993 rustless wonder

Comment

If there is no ignition switch make sure everything has power before you crank it. Dash bulbs, ecu, sensors.... use a multi-meter, the yellow and black wire that goes to the tps and injectors should have 12v with the "key on".
                      Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                      93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                      91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                      93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                      15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Maybe the clutch safety switch isn't being engaged with just a starter button? Basement Modder, are you pushing in the clutch while you crank it?
                        '90 LX

Comment

The switch would bypass the clutch safety switch.
                          Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                          93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                          91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                          93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                          15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                          88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
                            The switch would bypass the clutch safety switch.
                            Right, but does the clutch switch have anything to do with engine controls.
                            '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
                              Right, but does the clutch switch have anything to do with engine controls.
                              No.

Comment

Working...
                              X