X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wybnrml
    replied
    Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
    The switch would bypass the clutch safety switch.
    Right, but does the clutch switch have anything to do with engine controls.

Leave a comment:

• gauge_half_inch
    replied
    The switch would bypass the clutch safety switch.

Leave a comment:

• wybnrml
    replied
    Maybe the clutch safety switch isn't being engaged with just a starter button? Basement Modder, are you pushing in the clutch while you crank it?

Leave a comment:

• gauge_half_inch
    replied
    If there is no ignition switch make sure everything has power before you crank it. Dash bulbs, ecu, sensors.... use a multi-meter, the yellow and black wire that goes to the tps and injectors should have 12v with the "key on".

Leave a comment:

• Basement_Modder
    replied
    Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
    Maybe you are using the wrong button?
    Then it wouldn't crank. Its between +12v on the battery and the positive side of the starter solenoid.

Leave a comment:

• nitrofarm
    replied
    Originally posted by Basement_Modder View Post
    I am cranking it with a button.
    Maybe you are using the wrong button?

Leave a comment:

• Christ
    replied
    I dont always suggest that gas be changed, but after sitting, condensation can contaminate the fuel, especially if there's a any ethanol in it. This, clearly, would be a problem, since you'd have water (possibly water/alcohol) at the pickup of the fuel pump.

The gas in Steve was at least a year old, and aside from smelling like turpentine, it still ran the engine fine.

Leave a comment:

• FestYboy
    replied
    I'll chime in here: if 5 year old gas will run a low compression (8.7:1) engine, then 1 year old gas should easily light off in a higher compression engine (9.4:1). fiero had 5+ y/o gas in it and fired right up with a new battery, same for the 89L that sat for 3+ years.

look for fuel pressure and spark first.

Leave a comment:

• Christ
    replied
    Did you "add gas", or just put new gas in, and there was no old gas?

Old gas can be harder to burn, and can exacerbate small problems, making them seem like actual no start issues.

You should check that the fuel pump is providing ample pressure to the rail.

Leave a comment:

• Basement_Modder
    replied
    I am cranking it with a button. There's no ignition switch, lol. New timing belt on it, too. Just added gas. Filter is clogged, but I have a new one for it I'll be adding asap.

Leave a comment:

• Christ
    replied
    Originally posted by TominMO View Post

To check for spark, you could pull a plug, reattach the wire, then ground it to the engine while someone else cranks it over.
    If not lucky enough to have a "someone else" handy, you can make a starter button with alligator clips, wire, and a heavy duty push button, you attach a wire to the + on the battery, and to the small stud on the solenoid.

You can get an inline spark checker from most parts stores, Harbor Freight has them for a couple bucks.

If your going to pull the plugs, rent a comp tester. It'll tell you alot about your engine's condition.
    Last edited by Christ; 05-25-2011, 06:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TominMO
    replied
    Start with the basics:
    Timing belt: broken, or slipped? If not broken, make sure the valve timing is OK.
    Distributor issues: getting spark? Plug wires in the proper order? Rotor not put on wrong?
    Fuel issues: is fuel getting to the rail? If not, is the fuel filter clogged? Is the pump working? Is the sock clogged? Is the gas fresh enough?

To check for spark, you could pull a plug, reattach the wire, then ground it to the engine while someone else cranks it over.

Leave a comment:

• Christ
    replied
    You really shouldn't need to use starting fluid, if everything is tuned properly, the engine will start. If it isn't, just fix the problems. Starting fluid is for engines that are old, worn, etc., or cold blooded (s which usually is a cover for being out of tune).

Leave a comment:

• Basement_Modder
    started a topic Help me get it started

Help me get it started

I have a '90 festiva LX that won't sart. Its been sitting for almost a year. I dropped in a fresh battery and changed the oil. It will crank but that's all. How do I check if its getting spark? I also probably need to add starting fluid, but what else could it be? Its at 250k miles but ran before this.
Working...
X