Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where are grease fittings on 1990 festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where are grease fittings on 1990 festiva?

For years we paid for Oil Lube & filter..........Do we have grease fittings??

Sorry if this has been asked before

Grease fittings were discontinued on most cars around the time catalytic converters and electronic ignition were introduced. Some engineer had a great idea to make it a completely sealed non-serviceable part.

Comment

You can buy many long wear components aftermarket that have zerks on them, but most manufacturers have discontinued their use because it's an unnecessary expense, the extra machining processes, wages, etc, when most people dont use them, know they exist, etc..

Comment

The tie rod end that I bought a couple of week ago had grease fittings. Don't know of any other on my Festivas.

Comment

They also make needles that go on your grease gun to poke the boot and grease nonserviceable joints.

Comment

Originally posted by JoDan View Post
            They also make needles that go on your grease gun to poke the boot and grease nonserviceable joints.
            Didn't know that...have you used them on your ball joints?

Comment

Yea, I have one at work that I use so I can grease tie rods/ball joints without grease inserts when people get their car serviced.

Comment

Thanks for the tip...I'm going to start doing that to mine.

Comment

Crawl under the car. When you find the fitting, PM me. Welcome to the site!
                  Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                  Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                  "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Here is the story as I was told it. The grease they use today is very much improved and if kept sealed and away from dirt, water, and air will last for the life of the car. The problem happens when the rubber booty starts to go bad (crack or lose the seal) then it is just a matter of time until you will need to replace the part. If you suspect the boot is bad then getting a shot of grease in the joint using a grease needle will help extend the life (possibly forever if you are diligent). Never pierce a known good, sealed joint with a grease needle - you are only inviting in the culprits which wear out the joint. If you do use a grease needle, it is always best to try and slip the needle between the rubber and the metal - try to avoid poking it through the rubber boot part itself. Keep your finger on the rubber when pumping it up and stop when it starts to get firm - Avoid the temptation to overfill it. This is one time when more is not better (overfilling will help the boot to break more allowing more impurities in the joint area). Also, use the good thick stuff helps (like the old MOPAR grease). Good Luck!

Comment

Thick grease is actually not very good for fine tolerances, as I understand it. It can't get into the area to be lubricated as easily, and thus, doesn't get "exchanged" like it should.

Comment

Originally posted by roycehof View Post
                        Here is the story as I was told it. The grease they use today is very much improved and if kept sealed and away from dirt, water, and air will last for the life of the car. The problem happens when the rubber booty starts to go bad (crack or lose the seal) then it is just a matter of time until you will need to replace the part. If you suspect the boot is bad then getting a shot of grease in the joint using a grease needle will help extend the life (possibly forever if you are diligent). Never pierce a known good, sealed joint with a grease needle - you are only inviting in the culprits which wear out the joint. If you do use a grease needle, it is always best to try and slip the needle between the rubber and the metal - try to avoid poking it through the rubber boot part itself. Keep your finger on the rubber when pumping it up and stop when it starts to get firm - Avoid the temptation to overfill it. This is one time when more is not better (overfilling will help the boot to break more allowing more impurities in the joint area). Also, use the good thick stuff helps (like the old MOPAR grease). Good Luck!
                        Thanks for the additional valuable info.

Comment

Thanks for all your Answers. My Point is.......It has NO Grease fittings!

My wife bought this car New & paid for numerous Grease Jobs over the years & Then we were at Jiffy Lube & I told the guy to make sure it had a good Grease Job & he showed me on the Computer that it had No Grease Fittings. He basically was saying to me.........HOW CAN I GREASE IT WHEN IT HAS NO FITTINGS!!!!!!drool:angel5:

Comment

Working...
                          X