Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on purchace of wheel bearings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on purchace of wheel bearings.

Last Summer I rebuilt the entire front end of my Festiva. It drives like an Indy car. Well last week I began hearing a slight squeaking noise coming from my driver side front. I believe it is a wheel bearing. I need advice on purchasing some top quality performance wheel bearings to replace the squeaky one.

I purchased Beck Arnley brand and they just didn't hold up to my driving habits.

Any high performance bearings out there?

Get Timken bearings. It's all I've ever used and I've never had an issue with them... and I've installed A LOT of wheel bearings LOL
    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
    Zulu Ministries

Comment

See my signature? Yeah One easy test for a bad wheel bearing is to drive a couple miles, then feel the wheel. If it is very hot, in comparison to the others, then a faulty bearing could be the culprit.

Also, see the thread I started on how to rebuild them,. there is a scan from the manual. Be sure they are lubed after being put in place properly.

And never forget the spacer!
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Slight sqeaking noise from the front could be brake pads. There's a little bracket on one of the pads that acts as a wear indicator. When the pad gets thin enough the bracket hits the rotor and squeaks. I would check that first before tearing the hubs apart again.
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
          Slight sqeaking noise from the front could be brake pads. There's a little bracket on one of the pads that acts as a wear indicator. When the pad gets thin enough the bracket hits the rotor and squeaks. I would check that first before tearing the hubs apart again.

+1, but if your wanting to check the bearings just jack the front of the car up and shake the wheel. Grab the top of the tire and the bottom and shake. If its wiggles and has play then your bearings are shot! Been through this many many times with these festivas especially living in a area with alot of mountains.
          89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
          My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
            +1, but if your wanting to check the bearings just jack the front of the car up and shake the wheel. Grab the top of the tire and the bottom and shake. If its wiggles and has play then your bearings are shot! Been through this many many times with these festivas especially living in a area with alot of mountains.
            Second test in my book ;P Also, if they are REALLY bad, you can sometimes just put your foot on the top of the tire and shove, it will wobble
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Unless you installed the bearings wrong, I doubt that they have gone bad already. Beck-Arnley stuff is pretty decent from my experience. Cleanliness is important with bearings, so if you got some dirt in there, it is conceivable that the bearing could be bad. The front bearings are more forgiving than the rear. I bought a cheap set of Auto Zone bearings for the rear of my Festiva and was replacing them after 40K miles. Bought Timkens after that and they are still going (lost track but over 75K miles easy). If the bearing did fail already, buying the Timken brand may help get you some more longevity out of the job. Before I took apart that hub, I would want to do the items mentioned above (check brakes, bushings, and things like that). Good Luck.

Comment

was the spacer/shim put back in when they were originally done? I am with the guys saying brakes. May even just be the semi metallic pads squeaking. Happens all the time.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

To my surprise it was the rear bearings. It sounded like the front ones to me.

Oh yea, I did remember to install the spacer. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
                    Get Timken bearings. It's all I've ever used and I've never had an issue with them... and I've installed A LOT of wheel bearings LOL
                    X2 on the Timken bearings. We've done a lot of bearings around here and never any issues.

Comment

^Just figured out that my nephew left my computer logged in and I was reading and posting under his name! Guess I'm getting senile.
                      1992 Green GL - "It's not easy being green" - Kermit - RIP killed by a tree
                      1992 Aqua Funtop - Belle
                      Wife of V8Festiva.

Madness Committee Member
                      website www.festivamadness.com

Comment

^^ HAHA! I was wondering who the newcomer was and where the heck Franklinton is! LOL :mrgreen:
                        If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                        Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                        X