flame shooting out of carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flame shooting out of carb

I have an 88 festiva with a stock 1.3 in her. I bought a webber carb and been having issues with it. I believe I am real close to getting her to run again. The problem now is in order to get her started the distributor has to be fully advanced. BUT when I go to timing it with the light, I get about an inch away from from the ten degree mark and she will die. Now upon start up she idles high. Sometimes either when I am starting her or when she dies she likes to spit a fire bowl out the carb. I do know the mechanical timing is good Does anyone know why its shooting fire out of the carb? Any help is appreciated.
    Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Sounds like your timing belt has jumped some teeth.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I just checked that yesterday and it was fine. Today I started checking the distributor timing. I found out that at first my firing order was in wrong order. So I quickly fixed that. Then I realized my gasket for the carb was allowing fuel to escape. Which in turns means air can get in. So I make a new gasket and reassembled it. The gasket is good cause its not saturated in fuel. However, now I get a flame and when its does run she is running at high idle. This is the closest in long time that I have gotten her to run. I am going to doulbe check all the plugs lines and ensure they are plugged. I could double check the timing belt too.

Comment

Your positive the spark plug wires are in 1,3,4,2 order on the cap?
        89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
        My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Also remember that the disty turns counterclockwise. Don't ask how I found that one out.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
            Your positive the spark plug wires are in 1,3,4,2 order on the cap?
            Positive, I double checked it with my haynes manual.

Comment

Originally posted by JoDan View Post
              Also remember that the disty turns counterclockwise. Don't ask how I found that one out.
              Are you talking about when you adjust the distributor or are you talking about the rotor? I turn my distributor towards the firewall (clockwise) to get the car started and then I turn it counterclockwise to try and set the idle.

Comment

Bring your engine up to TDC and set the rotor in the disty pointing to 1. Doing that it should fire right up. Might have to adjust the timing with the light alittle.

Comment

Did that earlier today. Before the rotor was off by 180.

Comment

Originally posted by brickdog2000 View Post
                    Are you talking about when you adjust the distributor or are you talking about the rotor? I turn my distributor towards the firewall (clockwise) to get the car started and then I turn it counterclockwise to try and set the idle.
                    I'm talking about the firing order of the wires on the cap goes counterclockwise

Comment

Are you sure your hitting TDC on the compression stroke?

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                        Are you sure your hitting TDC on the compression stroke?
                        Just to make sure I will double check tomorrow. I really appreciate everyones advice.

Comment

Alittle trick I always use is a wad of paper towls. Pull the #1 plug and easily stick the wad of paper towl into the hole. turn the crank over and when the paper towl wad pops out, your on the compression stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by JoDan View Post
                            I'm talking about the firing order of the wires on the cap goes counterclockwise
                            I will also double check that as well.

Comment

Okay I feel really stupid right now. JoDan you were right, I had number two and three wire switched on the distributor cap. However, all she does is crank now. every once in awhile I will get fuel shooting out of the carb now. Did I possibly do maore damage to the car? I hope not, cause that would be grounds to sell it since the wife doesnt want me dump anymore money into it. I am already 500 into it trying to get her to run.

Comment

Working...
                              X