Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

soon to be problem.... starter or switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soon to be problem.... starter or switch?

about every week or so i get in and turn the key and nothing..... just dead.
    I torn a few more times and it starts like normal and does not give me any problems for about a week or 2 then the same.

I am thinking original starter 235000 K it is dead spot on the starter, but befor I buy or rebuild I would like to know if the switch is a problem and if it is do i fix it and how?

thanks

s

Does the dash come on when the key is turned to ON and not START or does it just completely do nothing when the key is ON. If so I would say it is the starter and if not I would clean the battery terminals and go from there.

Comment

Mine used to do that. It was the POS. battery cable.
      Chuck
      Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
      If money will fix it, it's not broken
      91 GL -Ol' Rusty
      93 GL - Lil Red
      91 L - Tweetystiva
      http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
      http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Mine is doing that RIGHT NOW. TO be honest, I do not think it is in the starter itself. I have been thinking ignition switch or Neutral safety position switch on the clutch. I bought my festy brand spanking new in 1993, and the starter, original, just died a couple months ago with approx 700k miles on it. These starters are bulletproof. Mine didn't go into the scrap metal pile, I actually buried it with a tombstone. Pics on request, it was one of my last original parts, and that old of a friend deserved a decent burial....

What I am doing this evening is trying to loosen the two 10 mm screws on the neutral switch and move it forward a gnats butt, then tighten. This is because this happened to me a few years ago. It seems to be that when I push that little bit more with my left foot, the car starts without letting off the key.....
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Spray WD-40 into the keyhole.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by bassman View Post
            about every week or so i get in and turn the key and nothing..... just dead.
            I torn a few more times and it starts like normal and does not give me any problems for about a week or 2 then the same.

I am thinking original starter 235000 K it is dead spot on the starter, but befor I buy or rebuild I would like to know if the switch is a problem and if it is do i fix it and how?

thanks

s
            Junk Yard save has been doing that for at lleast the past 3 years, but never fails to start when I turn the key again. I've found that If I make sure the AC is turned off, it starts on the next turn.

Comment

.... I just finished having the same problem. Every now and then I would get in and turn the key and "NOTHING". Push the clutch pedal down a couple of times and move the "Shifter" in and out of the gears then try it again. Most of the time it would then start but on occasion I would go through this procedure again and it would start as well. Each time I paid particular attention for a clue as to where the problem was originating from but "NOTHING". One day recently I noticed some corrosion around the "POSITIVE" post on the battery, my first clue. So I not only spit shinned both the POSITIVE and NEGATIVE terminals on the battery, I also spit shinned with a wire brush ALL TWO large connections including the TERMINALS on the starter. And the clip-on I used "CRC's Electrical cleaner" also wire bushed the hardware to get the RUST off . And recently a couple of weeks earlier spit shinned the TERMINALS and LUGS on the coil. This is the first time for-the-most-part in twenty three years this kind of cleaning has taken place. Reassembled everything and has NOT acted up since.
              A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

I have cleaned my battery terminal at least every year but it's been over 4 years since I cleaned the other connection ends. I'm going to do that tomorrow and see if it fixes the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                  I actually buried it with a tombstone. Pics on request, it was one of my last original parts, and that old of a friend deserved a decent burial....
                  Pics, I demand pics.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                    Mine is doing that RIGHT NOW. TO be honest, I do not think it is in the starter itself. I have been thinking ignition switch or Neutral safety position switch on the clutch. I bought my festy brand spanking new in 1993, and the starter, original, just died a couple months ago with approx 700k miles on it. These starters are bulletproof. Mine didn't go into the scrap metal pile, I actually buried it with a tombstone. Pics on request, it was one of my last original parts, and that old of a friend deserved a decent burial....

What I am doing this evening is trying to loosen the two 10 mm screws on the neutral switch and move it forward a gnats butt, then tighten. This is because this happened to me a few years ago. It seems to be that when I push that little bit more with my left foot, the car starts without letting off the key.....
                    Just now reading this thread. Did you say 700,000 miles?
                    -Bryant

Comment

Skeeter's Keeper, Walth and I were talking about festivas starters yesterday. I have had 24 festivas, walth 3 I think, I'm guessing Nate is at 6. Not a bad starter between us. That's 20 years for me with no starter failures. I've NEVER sold a starter in all of the festivas I parted out. One time I had a request for an automatic starter. I bet his problem wasn't the starter. I submit two theories. One is - the job of turning a b3 is so easy why would it fail. Two is - it's a festiva. Of course it won't break.

Report back bassman when you solve it.
                      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
                        Just now reading this thread. Did you say 700,000 miles?
                        Approximately. I try to err on the less side. I have been through a few instrument clusters.

I disconnected the speedo cable when I bought the car with a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. After 9 months, I had, a smidge over 49,000 miles. When I reconnected the speedo 3 years and three months later, it didn't work. I was still working the same hours at the same job then, so figured my mileage at least 50K a year. I was so used to not having a speedo, I didn't get around to replacing the cluster for another year or two. Since then, I have gone through one or two more. Right now, I put yet another one in to pass inspection over a high beam light.

I kept old girl off the road for a year in Savannah, a year in FL, and two years here in NC. Since 1993, approx 50K a year delivering Pizza's, right about 700K miles....but this last 2 years, I have gone from working the six days a week I have worked in forever, to four days a week. Accordingly, I am starting to track my mileage, and try to be more accurate from this point...
                        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Legend.
                          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Working...
                          X