Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drive axle photos

Took the following photos yesterday when replacing left front axle

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Photos are out of sequence so I numbered them.
    Last edited by WmWatt; 05-30-2011, 02:05 PM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

You don't need to disconnect the lower control arm bolt to take it out
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

Grey Vw: I read that here and tried but could not drop the control arm out of the knuckle. So I went ahead and removed it. It's a bit of a pain getting it back in. I'm pretty sure you can add a comment to the photo if you like.
      Last edited by WmWatt; 05-30-2011, 07:03 PM.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

not sure if you saw this but it works out pretty good....

"FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I figured out the best way, works every time: Take a 1 1/2" or so iron pipe about 4' long. Stick the end over the sway bar and under where the control arm mounts to the car. Pry down. Pops that sucker out every time. I've done the same thing with several strut type suspension cars and it works great.
          Oops- Willie beat me to it. A good sized pipe does make it easier though.
          Last edited by zoe60; 05-30-2011, 07:17 PM.

Comment

If I have to remove the LCA, I find it easy to remove the bolt on the frame, then just drop the ball joint out. Sometimes it does help to spread the pinch.

For axles, I pop the tie rod end off, and if worried about alignment, you can tape it so it doesn't spin on the tie rod. Then, remove the 2 bolts from the strut. The rotor will swing enough to get out of the way, by an inch or two at least.

Also, I never bother unstaking the nut, it doesn't hold up to enough torque to break it loose.

The broom handle is a nice trick. I also use a rubber mallet.

Good write up though, and good pics!
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I can always get the long axle out just by removing the nut and taking the 2 strut bolts out. The short axle isn't that easy. Usually do it in the same manner except I drop the LCA and leave the tie rod. Everyone has there own ways of doing it.
              89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
              My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                I can always get the long axle out just by removing the nut and taking the 2 strut bolts out. The short axle isn't that easy. Usually do it in the same manner except I drop the LCA and leave the tie rod. Everyone has there own ways of doing it.
                Yes they do, but I am going to try that! thanks for the hint

Comment

I can do both sides just undoing the strut bolts... the key is to turn the wheel hard left for the right axle, hard left for the right. Moves the tie rod out to the end of its travel giving extra room needed No need to unhook ball joints, tie rods, or LCAs
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                    I can do both sides just undoing the strut bolts... the key is to turn the wheel hard left for the right axle, hard left for the right. Moves the tie rod out to the end of its travel giving extra room needed No need to unhook ball joints, tie rods, or LCAs
                    I don't know if I ever even tried that. Got to put the axle I just put a new boot on back in as soon as these dad blasted caty dids stop dive bombing me Gonna try it out on the drivers side then...

Comment

Your pics brought back a lot of fond memories.

Comment

Sorry to derail the thread, but how do I know what size shaft to buy? There is a 606mm and a 597 mm length for the driver side. I suppose I could measure but that involves too much work!
                        2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
                        1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
                        1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

:scratch: not sure why you guys go through all that work....pinch bolt on the LCA and the axle nut are all that need to be removed to service the cv axles. So simple....I wish I could show you guys just how quick it can be done. But like someone said....to each their own.
                          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          There ain't no rest for the wicked
                          until we close our eyes for good.
                          I will sleep when I die!
                          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
                          X