No announcement yet.

Pump shuts off after hardly any gas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump shuts off after hardly any gas...

So it was payday for me yesterday and I went to fill up at the gas station and after only about 3 seconds the pump shut off and wouldn't pump anymore. I released the handle and tried again and the same thing happened. I tried all kinds of different angles, etc. and it just wouldn't work.

I haven't checked for blockage in the filler line yet, but I will be doing so shortly. Is there a vent line that could be blocked perhaps? When I take the gas cap off there appears to be pressure in the tank, which after discussing it on the forum appears to be normal for Festivas, so I don't know if they even have this vent line.

I'll check for blockages and report back when I know more, but does anyone have any ideas?
    1993 Festiva L - "Thor"

More cheers more beers, that's it that's all.

Mine does that if the nozzle is in too far. Pull the nozzle out a little bit and try again.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Anti-siphon valve in line from filler neck to tank.
      Looks like a throttle plate.Must have seized in place.

Might be able to us a thin wire, coat hanger, and push it open.
      Or, disconnect the filler tube from the tank and remove the valve.

Seen a pic on here, somewhere, let me see if I can find it!
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I know exactly which plate you're talking about, I removed it and put it in the new gas tank when I replaced it. I was thinking maybe that was the problem too. I'll check it out on my lunch break from work and see if I can't jam something in there and get it to move
        1993 Festiva L - "Thor"

Comment

Well I took a wire coat hanger and jammed it down the filler hose. I hit something springy, so hopefully I freed up the plate a bit. We'll see when I try to fill up next! If the problem persists I may just remove the plate altogether. Thanks for the input!
          1993 Festiva L - "Thor"

Comment

Could have been just that particular nozzle... Many people come to where I working complaining about that same problem and we found that there's a specific nozzle at a local gas station that caused all the problems.

Comment

I figured it could just be the pump, but it has happened at three separate gas stations three times in a row now, so I figure it's pretty safe to say it's the car that causing the problem
              1993 Festiva L - "Thor"

Comment

Working...
              X