Festiva down in CMH garage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva down in CMH garage!

Went to pick up my mom at the airport this afternoon and the blue '91 would not keep running when we were ready to leave. I think this is the first time I've been stranded by a Festiva... (well, except for a brake line failure in the same car last year.)

We took a cab ($!) back to my house and then I drove her back to Granville in the truck. Then back here (sigh...).

Anyway, I go to start it and it fires right up, but won't idle, and dies within a few seconds. Always the same, over probably 20 tries. Nothing I do with the gas pedal in those few seconds it's kinda running seem to have any effect.

It's not out of gas, and ran like a top on the way to the airport. I'd spent the morning putting a new (old) exhaust system on it - thanks again Karl!

I wiggled wires here and there, disconnected and re-connected the VAF; no help.

For the past couple years it has had this annoying thing where it won't start at all on rainy days. I attribute that to bad plug wires, and have been meaning to replace them. I don't think the two problems are related, because in the new problem it fires, starts, but won't keep running. With the old problem it doesn't fire at all; I've got to leave it sitting till the next sunny day, whereupon it always starts right up (until this afternoon).

Any ideas? I'm going to go over there tomorrow and try it again; would be nice if I could drive it home.

If it won't start I'll have AAA tow it home, then have to figure out what the ^&$#@% problem is here.

Thanks in advance!

You already checked the VAF connection which was my first suspect.
    Only other thing to do VAF wise, is to swap it for a Known good one.
    Do you have a known good one?
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
      You already checked the VAF connection which was my first suspect.
      Only other thing to do VAF wise, is to swap it for a Known good one.
      Do you have a known good one?
      I *do* have a known good one - will give that a shot!

Comment

also, i'll attest to the same situation and it turned to be a bad connection at the VAF; if i push down on the connector it won't idle, if i pull UP on the connector everything is perfect. sollution: propper length of stick to keep connector in the "up" position.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

OK, put in known good VAF, no help... I had it towed home. I'm going to do other things this afternoon.

Comment

Vacuum leak?
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Same symptoms when my ignition control module failed. Garage mechanic said he could not keep it running long enough to diagnose problem so guessed it was ICM. Can take ICM to be tested for free at some auto parts stores.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave G View Post

For the past couple years it has had this annoying thing where it won't start at all on rainy days. I attribute that to bad plug wires, and have been meaning to replace them. I don't think the two problems are related, because in the new problem it fires, starts, but won't keep running. With the old problem it doesn't fire at all; I've got to leave it sitting till the next sunny day, whereupon it always starts right up (until this afternoon).
                I once kept putting off changing the plug wires on mine. Had the same problem on wet days, even at first start of the day, a quick spray of WD-40 would cure it. I was broke as a joke.

Then came the day it just died as I turned the corner. I thought VAF, fuel pump, but I found I wasn't getting spark. A new set of wires, and she hasn't stopped since.....
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  also, i'll attest to the same situation and it turned to be a bad connection at the VAF; if i push down on the connector it won't idle, if i pull UP on the connector everything is perfect. sollution: propper length of stick to keep connector in the "up" position.
                  I saw that picture of your magic stick. I hope it is still there the next time I see you
                  Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                  Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                  "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Well seven weeks on I finally got around to looking at it - turned out to be a loose connection to the VAF. One of the wires (right most when looking at the connector) had been pushed back into the plastic gizmo and so was not making contact with the VAF. Took an hour or so of detective work to find this, two seconds with a tiny screwdriver to fix it.

I'd forgotten how much fun these Festiva things are to drive

Comment

Working...
                    X