Steering linkage or struts issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering linkage or struts issue

About a year and 1/2 ago, I had the non-power steering rack replaced with a re-conditioned one on my 92L. Inner and outer tie rods as well. Prior to the replacement, it would begin to shake at around 60MPH.

I can go down the highway at 70+ if needed and it just goes; no vibrations at all...smooth sailing.

When I go over bumps, rail-road tracks etc. it makes a "clunking" sound and I can slightly feel it in the steering column.

I also hear that same "clunking" sound at times coming from the rear of my festi as well, going over small bumps, etc.

I don't believe the struts have ever been replaced that I know of. Could this "clunking" sound I describe caused by bad struts?

As soon as you can, check the lower control arms. Look for torn boots on the end that fits into the knuckle. If the ball pops out, it could be very dangerous. Otherwise, it's probably the struts.

The rear clunking is probably from worn struts. If they get too worn, the whole rear end might jump sideways a little when you hit a bump.
    Last edited by TominMO; 06-01-2011, 10:08 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
    X