:( Fuel Pump :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• :( Fuel Pump :(

Backed the car out of the driveway. put the car in gear and just started to move forward. That's when the car just died. It wouldn't restart.

I was late for work. I quickly checked under the hood and pushed the car over to a curb.

I thought maybe the fuel shut off was activated. I also just added sea-foam a few days earlier and maybe the fuel filter or filter sock were clogged. I have eliminated the fuel filter and sock. So it must be the fuel pump.

The pump is only a year old and seems to have died suddenly. It just didn't make sense.

Any thought?

Also after working a double shift at work, I walk up to the car and find a parking ticket. Some things just make your day right.

I wonder if, without the sock and filter... it got clogged and died?
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

If its a EFI yank the fuel line and have someone turn it over while you hold the hose. If the pump is good then you should get a powerful stream of fuel. If its a weak stream then the pump is done.
      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
        I wonder if, without the sock and filter... it got clogged and died?
        I just replaced both the sock and filter this morning. It has not been running with out the filters.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
          If its a EFI yank the fuel line and have someone turn it over while you hold the hose. If the pump is good then you should get a powerful stream of fuel. If its a weak stream then the pump is done.
          Yes I did just that. No flow. I then checked the connections to the pump and then pulled the pump and replaced the filter sock. Still nothing.

So it's the fuel pump.

Comment

Fuel pump or a connection.
            After you pull the pump/sender assembly and are away from the now open fuel tank apply 12V to the pump. If it runs might still be the pump, but also my indicate a connection issue.
            Just don't want you to swap out a pump if you don't need one.
            Been there done that!
            Last edited by Pu241; 06-02-2011, 10:00 AM.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

If you have an access panel, try running the pump with a 9v battery directly. Remove the wiring, get a9v socket from an alarm clock or old smoke detector, and just hold the wires to the pump wiring.

aThat's quick way to check for a bad connection.

Comment

Have you made an initial check of fuses, fusible links and relays?
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

May try resetting the inertia switch. My '89 would act up every once in a while like you described. No sudden bumps to the vehicle, would simply quit. Bypassed the switch and no more problems.

Hope this helps.

Comment

you can also test the pump via the STI connector at the driver strut tower, just jump the 2 pin connector and listen for the pump. remember it could still be the VAF connector or internal switch.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
                      May try resetting the inertia switch. My '89 would act up every once in a while like you described. No sudden bumps to the vehicle, would simply quit. Bypassed the switch and no more problems.

Hope this helps.
                      Thanks

The switch has not been triggered.

Could it just malfunction and Just stop the fuel pump?

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                        you can also test the pump via the STI connector at the driver strut tower, just jump the 2 pin connector and listen for the pump. remember it could still be the VAF connector or internal switch.
                        Yes the pump isn't working. The car turns over but never even comes close to firing.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by festfull View Post
                          Is sure can,, happens all the time.
                          Most of the ones we see at the shop that have been replaced in the last year or so are the cheap ones from local Mcparts houses.
                          Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                          1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Yes econoaddict you are correct, if the fuel pump is a generic replacement bought from a local parts store, they are very cheap quality, because a factory fuel pump can last 100k and I have seen them go way beyond that, but a new aftermarket one only lasting a year or less is a joke.

Nothing like a genuine motorcraft part.

Comment

Originally posted by festfull View Post
                              Thanks

The switch has not been triggered.

As I'm assuming you're asking about the inertia switch, I would say it's definately possible.

This is not to say this is THE problem, only a possibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X