Carbed 88 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbed 88 problem

Needed a head gasket. Sent the head in for a rebuild. Put everything back together and now it idles nicely down the street but if you try to speed up it dies. We marked the dizzy before we pulled it. The car was running OK before we replaced a blown head gasket. Would appreciate any ideas on this.
    thanks

Could you have possibly crossed a couple of plug wires? In ccw rotation starting at the top left the wires should be 1-3-4-2. May not be it but always worth checking the simple stuff first. Also when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Or maybe a collapsing hose or bad fuel pump? Just a few ideas to check out.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Thanks for the comeback. New plugwires are ok. Pulled fuel line off the carb and started engine, plenty of gas came out. It idles sweetly but stumbles and dies when you step on the gas.

Comment

Im gonna say a vacuum problem. Have you went through and checked the vaccum lines?
        89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
        My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Going to do that somemore.
          thanks

Comment

Check to make sure you have vacuum on the port that's located on the back of the carb, towards the left, near the top. I had the same problem and hooking vacuum back to that fixed my issues.
            89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
            My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

spray carb clean at the base of the carb at idle to check for vac leaks, eleminate the carb base gasket and then move on to olcal vaccum hoses.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

sorry.......olcal ?

Comment

Any chance that after the head replacement that you got your base timing is off?
                  '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                  '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                  '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                  Your holy ghost will not save you.
                  Your God plutonium will not save you.
                  In fact...
                  ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

^ X2... may be off by a tooth. I've had it happen both ways depending on which way its off you can have a decent idle and falls on face when given gas. Or in the case of my Miata where the crank keyway for the lower timing cog is very worn (base timing is always off) it is very rough till you get past about 4.5k, then it absolutely screams after that.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

olcal = local i didn't spell check...
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                      X