No power to fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No power to fuel pump

G,day, i',m an aussie with a 99 1.5L festiva. The fuel pump has no power going to it and i've checked the fuses, now trying to find the relay but can't find it under the bonnet any where, please help!? It also has an imobolizer and maybe this is the cause, any input would be much appreciated

On the older models there was a trip switch for the fuel pump. On the drivers side in the cargo area there was a reset switch to fix that. If the car was in an accident or bumped just right it would cut the power to the fuel pump for safety reasons. Get a shop manual and if your model has one it should tell you where it is and how to reset it.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Originally posted by mcoz79 View Post
      G,day, i',m an aussie with a 99 1.5L festiva. The fuel pump has no power going to it and i've checked the fuses, now trying to find the relay but can't find it under the bonnet any where, please help!? It also has an imobolizer and maybe this is the cause, any input would be much appreciated
      Well we dont have 99 festy's here. And the never came with 1.5L. But our cars have the fuel pump relay under drivers side of the instrument dashboard. Hope that helps a little?
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

According to my 1990 Festiva electrical manual, the relay is "Mounted under Instrument Panel, left of ECA". The ECA is the car's computer that is about the size of a cigar box.

The relay has six connectors rather that the normal four. Only five of those connectors are used. The colors of those wires are green/yellow, yellow/black, black/red, green/red, and black. Where there are two colors the first is the base color of the wire. The second color is of the strip that runs along the length of the wire.

The power for the relay comes from the same circuit that turns the starter on. So if the starter is turning, the relay should have power, no intervening fuse. The relay is the only thing between the starter circuit and the fuel pump. But the inertia switch mentioned by doylerl should be checked. There is a button on it that pops out when it is activated. You reset it by pressing that button back down where it should stay. The ground for the fuel pump runs through that switch, so, when it is tripped, there will be no circuit through the pump.
        John Gunn
        Coronado, CA

Improving anything
        Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

The safety switch on my 93 festiva is on the left side panel
          hiden under the spker braket, closs to the rear left safety belt.
          >
          If you need to remove it, you mast remove that part of the left
          side panel, but you can reset it without removing it just push
          it down do it 2 or 3 times, to check that it is not sticked, mine
          was.
          if you need a clearer foto description on the location
          just emailme and i'll send you a cople of clear pictures.
          riferdez

Comment

Working...
          X