Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I return with poor tidings!

Hello long lost friends and experts!

I have returned with yet another dilemma (along with all those preexisting).
    For those of you who remember my brake line problem from a few months back, i'll have you know...it's still not fixed. Long story short I don't make enough with my job to pay off debts already owed and fix my beloved festiva. Trust me in this. If I could..I would.

At any rate, here is my newest problem.
    Considering my precious is more or less disabled and just camping out in the driveway, I have done as any good keeper should and start her up a few times a week. I have been doing so for a few months now and only tonight have I encountered the following issue.

After idling for a good 10-15 minutes or so (i've not started her in almost a week), she started to vibrate and make a decent din under the hood. Well maybe not din, rather just a loud (considerably louder than normal) noise. It sounded like perhaps the fan turned on or some other device to cool off the engine you know? Like in the summer when the air conditioner is on and suddenly the car makes that commotion signifying the cooling apparatus or whatever it is? For those of you who haven't read any of my posts before, I know next to nothing about the mechanics of an automobile, so forgive me.

BUT ANYWAY, after this happened I rolled the windows down and continued to idle and listen for another 5 minutes or so. After a good 1-2 minutes the sound ceased and the normally quiet purr of my beast continued. Yet sure enough the sound returned and I immediately shut off the car and popped the hood.

Lo and behold! Upon placing my hand on the hood, it was much warmer to the touch than my normal idling. It rather felt like I had been out for a long days drive. I then opened her up and was greeted by a waft of hot, rubbery?, hard working engine smell.

And that's it! I've no further details to offer other than that I think my temp gauge in the dash is faulty or something. I did mention that in one of my earlier posts. The needle was hovering just below "C" before i cut the engine.

Is this a radiator problem or what? I haven't a clue!
    What should I do next? Aside from obviously fix her up completely...which i'd love to do

Thank you all!
    1991 Festiva L "The HobbitMobile" or "The Hobbit" :cam:

Do you not understand? TO LOSE IS TO DIE!

How hot was the temperature that day compared to the other days?

Comment

i had the same smell, check the water/coolant pipe that is under the metal plate thing mine had splits in it an when i rev'ed it smelt like burnt rubber cause of were the water was hitting it that was with me tho so i dont know might be worth a look
      Omg a Dingo stole my festiva! Jks i own a 1993 red festy and its a damn Monster!

Comment

Thanks guys!
        I'll check it out ink.

Jo, it's been really hot here for like a week straight now....im in chicago but we've have like a week of 90 degree weather. But when i started it tonight it was only 70 maybe.
        1991 Festiva L "The HobbitMobile" or "The Hobbit" :cam:

Do you not understand? TO LOSE IS TO DIE!

Comment

sounds to me like your fan is kicking on and off like it should be, Make sure there is nothing in the fan that would throw it out of balance....but it will make the noise you are speaking of if you are just idling because you can hear it easier without the road noise. Check for any leakage under the car.....feel the upper radiator hose while the car is running....is it hot.....is it stiff or able to be squeezed?
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
          X