89 not running when warmed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 not running when warmed up

89 manual, starts and runs fine until a few minutes after reaching operating temp. I replaced the engine coolant temp sensor but still does it.

Any ideas?

Maybe something to do with the carb or the choke.
    Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

You don't say how it doesn't run fine. Couple of possibilities:O2 sensor kicks in when engine warms up. Ignition control module inside distributor can become heat sensitive. Ignition control module should be set in dielectric heat transfer paste. Can be tested for free at some auto parts stores.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

O2 will NOT cause the engine to stall. i would look into the ICM, and i would also look at fuel pressure/flow. could have vapor lock if there isn't enough bowl pressure.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks... I'll work on it. It reacts suddenly, with bucking and cutting out but doesnt cut out totally, but the result is undrivable.

Comment

That almost sounds like the fuel itself.
            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Ok, I replaced the fuel pump and filter, and it runs for about 10 min after getting to op temp, then quits. I am not driving it, just letting it sit and run.

Comment

still has spark after it quits? if not, hose down the inside of the dizzy (under the cover beneath the rotor). use carb clean then follow up with non-chlorinated brake clean, you should see black comming out if it (oil).
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                X