Festiva Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva Headlights

Ive just bought a 96 Festiva...yay. To pass the roadworthy I need to clean the inside of the headlights (in the casing)!!?? Ive been told over time they build up with fuel...stuff from engine.
    So ive been told the headlights are glued on!!! Id need a heat lamp to get them off?? and a glue gun to put them on!! OMG if someone could tell me if this is correct would be greatly appreciated. If this is true im just going to get new ones and get a mechanic or similar to do it. Next question is.. where can i get new headlights? Will i have to go through Ford? Thanks in advance.....Gen

no need to take them apart. If they are yellowed or hazed they make a buffing kit that may work for you. If not they should be pretty easy to find. It is the same as our Aspire...so if need be someone could ship some to you...I would be willing to help if necessary.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

if they are plastic wet sand with 1500 then 2000 extra fine sandpaper,then buff out with extra fine rubbing compound,works for me !!!
      Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
      99 Dodge Caravan SE
      95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
      94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
      78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
      78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
      03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
      95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
      95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
      95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

The headlight housing unscrews as a unit (Haynes manual pg 12-9). Looks like you first have to remove the plastic grille. Don't turn the adjustment screws in the housing or your lights will be out of line. The bulb assembly unscrews from the back of the headlight. I've never cleaned the inside of the light but you should be able to get water and a bottle brush in there. When I clean bottles I put some soapy water inside then drop a rag in and shake. Looks like a pretty simple job. It's glass.
        Last edited by WmWatt; 06-06-2011, 07:47 PM.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

the second gen festys in Aus are NOT glass headlamps. 3M makes a good kit that i like to use for such an issue.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks to everyones replys. Been a great help. Yep im in Aus, so no they arnt glass headlights. Ill try the 3M Kit i think, and see what happens at the second roadworthy.
            Appreciate all the help. This is a great site.
            XOXOXOXO

Comment

Hey Gen, whereabouts down under are u ? Iv'e got a cousin around Ballarat.....

Comment

Working...
              X