What springs will work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What springs will work?

Well after putting my new rear struts on I can tell that the rear springs are totally shot. One side sits like 2inchs lower than the other.

I dont have the money to go out and buy new springs, so what junkyard springs can I use that will fit, I dont mind cutting a few rounds off but dont really want ot modify the seats. So are there any 'bolt in springs' that will work. I know the aspire stuff will fit. Anything else? Also, what springs are will work for the front?

Thanks
    1991 Smoketiva - 306k
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker
    2004 Sebring

Will coil springs from say a 95 Honda civic work?
    1991 Smoketiva - 306k
    2004 Sebring

Comment

Well using the search function I answered my own questions... Cheap ebay coilovers is what I'll use.
      1991 Smoketiva - 306k
      2004 Sebring

Comment

NO!!!!! use aspire springs and lop 1.5 coils off them. if you use the coilovers, your struts will be WAY under damped for the 400#/inch rates that they give you and the springs themselves will be way too short to use anyway.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Some day soon I'm going to lower Winnie but cutting springs is rather frowned upon in Australia so I'm planning to buy new springs/struts when money permits. Many here on FF seem to advocate KYB GR2 struts so I'll probably go that way too, just have to figure out the springs, height and spring rate.

Also since I'm running 15x6 (+43) with 195/50 rubber maybe I'm best to go to a local shop and get them to try on a few combos to make sure clearance isn't a problem. My tires sit pretty close to the aspire strut perch already.
          Last edited by Click_It; 06-07-2011, 04:08 PM.
          200,000KM milestone!

Comment

well we've figured that stock festy springs are about 110/90 lb/inch F/R and aspire (2nd gen Festy for you) ups it to around 130/110ish F/R. SO, if you then cut a second gen front spring to your desired length (in the rear), you'll see about 140#. That being said, i would suspect you'd be quite happy with a 12" spring at 150# for the rear and then an appropriate length at 190-210# in the front. to get the right length in the front, remove your front strut of choice and measure between the spring pearch and strut hat, then add an inch, that should get you in the ballpark. The rears may require use of a coilover body to preload the spring properly, OR lower the rear rate a bit and up the length to preload the spring properly (again, about an inch of preload should do it for you).

ideally, you want to stiffen the rear as much as is comfortable and not underdamp your front struts.

These may get you close as well (designed for a heavier car but they're progressive) just to give you an idea.

These too!!! or these!
            Last edited by FestYboy; 06-07-2011, 04:22 PM.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              well we've figured that stock festy springs are...
              A wealth of information as always, thank you sir that helps a lot. I've just noticed springs are much cheaper in the USA than here so I might check out some shipping costs whilst I'm at it!
              200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Those BLOX Del Sols look really good
                200,000KM milestone!

Comment

So any of the guys running civic coilovers tell me how they turned out?
                  I see a bunch of you got some in this posting..
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ght=civic+coil
                  1991 Smoketiva - 306k
                  2004 Sebring

Comment

Are we being confused with oem replacement lowering springs for a civic and civic generic coilovers kits that fit on our cars? I was not aware that civic springs fit our cars as-is.

How would front festiva springs in the back and some rio springs and struts for the front? That would be about as cheap as you can get since you're only buying 2.
                    Last edited by getnpsi; 06-08-2011, 10:31 AM.
                    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Yeah I was meaning generic civic coilover kits, sorry for my confusing use of terms.
                      1991 Smoketiva - 306k
                      2004 Sebring

Comment

Working...
                      X