All lights went off intermittantly...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All lights went off intermittantly...

I got to my destination tonight (about ten minutes of mostly freeway driving in Aqua) and went inside, then left a few minutes later. Upon starting up and turning my lights on, they then went out. Whenever I turned them off then back on, they came on, but would go back out within a few seconds. They clicked when doing so. After about three minutes of this, and opening the hood and jiggling some things (including my main headlight fuse block), the problem went away and allowed me to get to my next place--about five minutes of driving.

(When this happened, it was all lights, including instrument panel. However, my e brake light came on when I stopped and applied it.)

Now I'm worried this may happen again. I just don't think any of my jiggling had anything to do with the "fix," which may be temporary.

Could this be a bad headlight relay? Loose wire? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-08-2011, 11:41 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Try spraying with WD-40 to get rid of any moisture?
    Also clean and tighten connectors.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Ah, yes. Thanks William. I need to go out and use some dielectric grease and check connections, at least on the fuses. Forgot to do that today.

Karl

Comment

Maybe the middle fusible link. Mine was doing the same thing, I would be driving then all of a sudden my headlights would go out. Worth looking at.
        '90 LX

Comment

After I removed and replaced the headlight fuse that night, and then took all three block fuses out the next day and used dielectric grease after scraping a bit, I've had no more trouble.

Thanks all!

Karl

Comment

just goes to show what three little wires can do....
            Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
            89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
            Projects in the works:
            84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Or in Karl's case, and many others, three cartridge fuses.
              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Working...
              X