Inner tierod removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner tierod removal

Can someone give me some tips and tricks for removing the inner tierod. I see it wrenches off but it doesnt look like I can get a wrench in the space for it. How do you guys remove them? Thanks as always.
    1991 Smoketiva - 306k
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker
    2004 Sebring

There are some special 'wrenches' that fit on a ratchet, thin enough to fit.

I think they're loanable tools at McParts stores. I haven't changed my inner tie rods yet, so take pictures and let everyone know how it goes!
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Thanks I knew there had to be something!!
      1991 Smoketiva - 306k
      2004 Sebring

Comment

It looks very similar to a huge magligh flash light. With crows feet type wrenches that fit in the end. If you can't find one to rent, harbor freight sells them.
        Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
        93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
        91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
        93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
        15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
        88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Autozone don't have the right one it needs to be adjustable Napa has them there 50.00 had to buy one
          1991 stiva.

Comment

Oh crap, thats not good news, Well I do have a Advance Auto Parts, O'riellys, Carquest, and Napa store all within 3 miles of each other. I dont really want to spend 50 bucks on a tool Ill only use once.

Why does it need to be adjustable?
            1991 Smoketiva - 306k
            2004 Sebring

Comment

It's basically a socket welded on the end of a pipe and the one end of the tir rod is bigger then the socket to go over
              1991 stiva.

Comment

Oh okay, so the shaft for the R&P is bigger than the gap on the socket to slide over. I dont think autozone would mind if i modified one of their loaner tools.
                1991 Smoketiva - 306k
                2004 Sebring

Comment

Right ...I work at auto zone if you make it bigger on the socket end toslide over it wont fit the tie rod LOL been there. Already
                  1991 stiva.

Comment

I used a regular wrench on the 2 I did a few weeks ago. Took some strength but it worked. I guess no more strength than the tools you guys have bought. And I had it in my toolbox. Get to it from under the car and from the front. Really the only way to explain. There is a small opening there. Good luck.
                    -Bryant

Comment

There is a small dowell u have to drive in and use a wrench to hold the rack so udont strain it
                      1991 stiva.

Comment

What sort of dowell? Another tool I have to buy?
                        1991 Smoketiva - 306k
                        2004 Sebring

Comment

No its a. Small pin
                          1991 stiva.

Comment

What about the kind of remover that screws onto the end of the tierod?
                            1991 Smoketiva - 306k
                            2004 Sebring

Comment

Working...
                            X