Clicking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking noise

id say a week or two after i did my brake swap and lowered my car whenever i turn hard either way (while im driving) it makes a clicking noise and you can somewhat feel it in the steering wheel. i think its either a cv joint or a wheel bearing but idk for sure. Also it usually goes away after i drive it around for awhile.
    -1992 Mazda Mx-3 V6 5spd Sold
    -1989 Toyota Supra turbo 5spd Sold
    -1989 Ford Festiva 4spd - current ride

"I ride to fast to live, but live to fast to ride."

CV joint
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Yup clicking noise = CV Joint

Actually you can check both. With the car up in the air, grab the suspect wheel at 12 & 6 and push/pull really hard. Then do it again holding it at 3 & 9. If it moves AT ALL, the wheel bearing is bad.

For the CV joint, get under the car and first slide them in and out to see if there is any roughness or clicking. If so, it is worn. If not, hold the axle right next to the inner joint and try and move the axle in a circle. There should be no play; repeat with the outer joint.

Bearing noises are usually constant and grow in frequency and volume with speed. Clunking on turns or acceleration/deceleration is usually a CV joint.

Has your car developed a clicking sound, particularly when turning? Can you feel vibration through the steering wheel also while turning? Do you experience a feeling of driving over a cattle grid on occasion while driving normally? There is a good chance that one of your cv joints is failing.
      On a standard road car, a cv joint should last many years, unless you drive up and down curbs on a regular basis. However, there is one thing that can shorten the life of a cv joint considerably. That is the cv joint either drying out, or the grease around it becoming contaminated. This normally happens if the protective rubber boot that covers the joint has become damaged, or one of the clips that secures the boot at either end has failed or come off for some reason.

Marcus
      Last edited by M3NTAL; 06-10-2011, 09:49 AM.
      -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

X3 on the CV joints.
        1991 Smoketiva - 306k
        1997 Jeep Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker
        2004 Sebring

Comment

Ok, now i know for sure the cv joint there is a tear in the boot i didnt see and i think i need to replace the bearing also because i do notice when im driving on the highway i hear a humming noise

Do i need to replace just the boot or the joint or both?

Also i live in pa and the roads here are horrible and is pretty much like driving up and down curbs
          -1992 Mazda Mx-3 V6 5spd Sold
          -1989 Toyota Supra turbo 5spd Sold
          -1989 Ford Festiva 4spd - current ride

"I ride to fast to live, but live to fast to ride."

Comment

Both for peace of mind !
            -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

If the boot was just torn, but most of the grease stayed in there, I'd say just the boot. But because you have that clicking noise, it's too late and you have to replace the whole CV axle.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Advance sells brand new GSP axles for $69.00, that's what I use.
                91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

^^ x2

I've used many of them and had excellent service out of them.
                  If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                  X