oil in air filter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil in air filter...

pulled the hose off my air filter box the other day when i was removing my valve cover and oil came running out... i expect a lil oil in there but there was quite a bit more than i was expecting!
    its a 91 FI... whats the most likely cause? bad rings? is it something i should worry about? i'd say there was at least a half a cup or so that came out... as far as i can tell my engine doesn't really use up any oil between changes, but this has probobly been building up for the past year and a half since i changed my filter...

which brings me to my next question: if i have to replace the air filter what kind of bennifits would i get from upgrading to a cone air filiter? i have a cherry bomb (free flow) muffler on, so am i correct in understanding it would help if the engine could breath easier on both ends?

thanks
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

check your PCV valve for operation

in other words, just shake it

if it doesn't rattle, use some brake clean or simular to clean it out

Comment

It's $3...replace it.

Even if it does rattle that doesn't mean it's good.

www.auto-rx.com will help clean your rings and reduce your blow-by by improving compression.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

thank you, Dan. My thoughts exactly.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Did this fix it?
          69 Shelby GT-350, 351W, 4 spd
          97 Jag xk8 vert
          06 Mini Cooper S GP
          93 Stiva
          04 Volvo S80

Comment

All of my cars do this even with good pcv valves. I think it's just the nature of the b series.
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

my old one has a little, but my new one has a lot. Trying to figure out how to fix it.
              69 Shelby GT-350, 351W, 4 spd
              97 Jag xk8 vert
              06 Mini Cooper S GP
              93 Stiva
              04 Volvo S80

Comment

well my PCV valve seems fine... havn't check the filter again to see if it has more in it or not, doesn't seem like a big issue to me... i was j/w if it was a sign of something worse.

i think i may try that auto-rx stuff tho... even tho i don't get how the heck it could really work...
                ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by ericsmith32
                  All of my cars do this even with good pcv valves. I think it's just the nature of the b series.
                  Huh?! What's normal, to have oil in your filter box? I have logged close to 300,000 miles on my Festivas and I have never seen any oil in my filter boxes. Definitely not normal.

Comment

I was sitting here thinking the same thing, the air box has no connection to oil, it would need to travel up the air intake hose I guess?
                    97 Ford Aspire 2dr 5 sp
                    92 Isuzu Impulse 1.8 5 sp 140HP, handling by Lotus, balls by Isuzu.
                    95 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...64/xsext2a.jpg

Comment

I drive mine pretty hard all the time ,I have never seen any oil in my air box.
                      The only place I have seen any was just inside the hose connecting to the T/B ,and it was just a small amount of residue .
                      ------------------------------------------------
                      The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                      Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                      HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                      Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                      Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                      Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                      Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                      90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                      It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Sounds like high crankcase pressure, could be your PVC valve, if not its either worn rings or valve guides overwhelming the PVC system with blow by pressure. Hopefully its just your PVC.

Comment

i have two festivas and both do not have oil coming through the air box but in the junkyard a took a mass air flow sensor off and oil was all in there a pretty good amount.

Comment

Working...
                          X