changed water pump now it won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changed water pump now it won't start

So my water pump has been making a noise I ordered one and got it on the way home yesterday. As soon as I do that on the way home it just goes out and starts getting hot. I limped it home shutting it off and coasting a lot new getting it super hot. But when I get home I have a little smoke coming off the motor so I figured I got it just in time. It was still running fine when I got home except for hearing the water pump. So I tear it apart last night and put it all back together this morning and now it won't start. Its turning over just fine, I know I'm not out of time, checked spark its good, gaped the plugs. Its all good. The motor is turning over nice and smooth but it just won't fire. You guys have any ideas?
    1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Have you tried spraying some starter spray down it? If it fires off like that then you can pretty much assume its just a fuel delivery problem and narrow your search down. If it won't fire with the spray then I'd say timing. Did you release then tensioner, turn the crank over two full turns by hand, then tighten it? And by fire I don't mean random popping noises, you're looking for a smooth running engine for at least 5 seconds before the spray is all burned off and it dies.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

you may have spark but you should double check your cam timing, i bet you're off a few teeth.

DON'T go by the timing marks on the crank pulley, use the marker on the crank timing belt cog behind the lower cover.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
        Have you tried spraying some starter spray down it? If it fires off like that then you can pretty much assume its just a fuel delivery problem and narrow your search down. If it won't fire with the spray then I'd say timing. Did you release then tensioner, turn the crank over two full turns by hand, then tighten it? And by fire I don't mean random popping noises, you're looking for a smooth running engine for at least 5 seconds before the spray is all burned off and it dies.

I loosened it then turned it over quite a bit enough for the tensioner to find its stop then retightened it. But that was with the belt on so there shouldn't be an issue there with it throwing the timing off. On the timing I marked it with paint like the manual says and set it with the mark on the bottom timing belt cog. All I had to pull was the belt off the top pulley. I lined it back up on bottom it has only gotten bumped 1/4 inch or so. Then lined it up with my painted marks with the belt on top and then slid it on. So I don't think its a timing issue. I don't see how it could be.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          you may have spark but you should double check your cam timing, i bet you're off a few teeth.

DON'T go by the timing marks on the crank pulley, use the marker on the crank timing belt cog behind the lower cover.

^^ I concur

It's extremely easy to get the bottom belt off by a tooth or so. If it ran before you changed the pump but doesn't run now then I would strongly suggest you pull both upper and lower plastic covers back off and double (or triple check) your timing. You can pull the covers off in just a few minutes and even if it is right you can still mark this off your list of variables.

It's easier than you think to get the marks off. I replaced a head on a 90 L Plus a couple of months ago and I was trying to get it done fast. Well, when I went to crank it up.....nothing. So I put #1 on TDC and checked the rotor button (you can install it in 3 different positions, but only one is correct). The button was correct so I pulled the covers off and sure enough I had the bottom cogs off a couple of teeth. I put it back in time and she fired right up. Took less than an hour to correct.
          If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
          Zulu Ministries

Comment

I don't have any ether but tried some carb cleaner it'll usually spark and I got nothing.

Comment

OK so when I check it again. I should have the bottom notch with the arrow like the book shows and then the top mark should be straight up right?

Comment

Yes, the bottom mark on the timing gear should align with the mark on the oil pump hosing. The 2 timing marks on the cam sprocket should align with the marks on the head. One mark will be in the 12:00 position and the other will be in the 3:00 position. Also, when you do this; ensure that the #1 piston is on TDC. I do this by removing the #1 spark plug, sticking my finger in the spark plug hole, and rotating to motor until I feel compression in the cylinder. When I feel pressure, I then continue to rotate the engine until the piston is at TDC (you can carefully stick a screwdriver in the hole until it rests on the top of the piston and rotate the engine. The screwdriver will stop coming up when you are at TDC. Then check the marks on the cam and crank sprockets.

EDIT: I stole one of Luckycowgirl's pics to illustrate the cam sprocket timing marks. Note the position of the 2 marks on the sprocket. One at 12 o'clock and one at 3. Disregard the big purple arrow LOL

)
                Last edited by Zanzer; 06-11-2011, 02:30 PM.

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

Yep you were right guys. Somehow I got off a couple teeth. All good now. Just have to do rear brakes tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Comment

Glad to hear she's up and running again! :thumbup:

WWZD
                    Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                    X