Cooling fan only works sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling fan only works sometimes

The fan only works sometimes, it almost overheated in traffic today, but I got it moving just in time and the airflow cooled it right down. I have a ghetto ground wire that I can hook up in an emergency I it gets too hot, but I really want to fix it right. I'd hate to have a friend borrow the car and have it melt down on them.

I know it isn't the fan. It's a fairly new flexalite, I always have power at the fan connector. I'm assuming the circuit is ground switched. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that I can confer with? I suspect a bad temp switch or relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temporary fix is to unplug the wire from the radiator fan switch on the thermostat housing. It will make the fan run any time the car is on.

It does sound like a failing radiator fan switch to me.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

You can also turn on the heater to cool things down quickly. Have it come out the windshield vent to not roast you, and open windows as needed.

But the root cause of your overheating problem is probably a clogged heater core.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that out. I usually don't even need my fan to run (mostly steady pace driving on my commute). I still want it fixed correctly though.

So if it doesn't run with the switch unplugged I guess it's bad wiring or a bad relay.

Comment

Clogged heater cores don't cause overheating. And I know the radiator isn't clogged either. The car only gets hot if it sits in traffic for a while. It's never actually overheated it just gets close. And when I hook the fan up it cools down within a minute.

I know it's a fan problem because I can hear when it's running and when it isn't and should be.

Comment

I know for a fact that a clogged heater core will cause overheating... blew up a couple rangers that way... heater core clogged and then the truck overheated and blew headgaskets... both times.
            89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
            2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
            1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

I'm having a similar issue with my protege, except my fan does not come on when I unplug my switch. but it comes on when I jump the diagnosis connector. It also comes on when the car gets really really hot.
              89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
              94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
              2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
              1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Proteges and 323s have opposite logic in their radiator fan switches.

On the Festiva, the switch disconnects ground from the circuit and the fan kicks on.

On the Protege/323, the switch connects to ground for the fan to kick on.

Temp fix for the Protege is to ground the connector to the engine. There was a male terminal I slid the wire's female terminal onto in a 323.
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                  You can also turn on the heater to cool things down quickly. Have it come out the windshield vent to not roast you, and open windows as needed.

But the root cause of your overheating problem is probably a clogged heater core.
                  the heater never vents out of the dash on festivas....
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Working...
                  X