Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Starting baffling me

Hello all,

Recently I did a water pump replacement and did the timing belt/etc because the water pump and cam seal needed replacing.... before this it drove and ran fine, now since I replaced all these things the car will barely rev... and will not go very fast when put in drive... it will start one time and die and then not start for awhile.... this is my daily driver and I'm currently job hunting, so this really puts a hindrance on my being able to work without a car (nearest job is 30 miles away 1 way)
    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
    89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
    Projects in the works:
    84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Did you get the VAF plugged back in? Sounds like what happened to me.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

yeah I plugged vaf back in
      Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
      Projects in the works:
      84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Check the base timing since you messed with the timing belt. Remember that the timing marks on the cam are 12 and 3 o'clock.

Comment

lined everything up with marks before I removed it so it would all line up when o
          I put it back together, I'll check to see whether it skipped a tooth
          Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
          Projects in the works:

Comment

the cam won't hold it's position once you remove the belt, you have to be concious (sp) of your timing marks when re-installing the belt.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I removed the seal that the cam sits in and put a new one in. it never moved ...
              Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
              Projects in the works:

Comment

Unless the cam and valvetrain "parked" in just the right spot, typically it will move whenever you pull the belt off. Valves that are open have spring pressure on them and when you remove the belt it also removes the resistance to the cam being loaded by the springs. Usually it will spin to unload this spring pressure and find an "at rest" spot. Sometimes it will move very little and sometimes it will move a lot. It all depends on where the cam parks and how much spring pressure it's fighting.
                If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                X