Wondering if a manual trns will fit on auto engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering if a manual trns will fit on auto engine

I just bought a 92 festiva GL and its auto, but i want 5spd and was wondering if anyone knew if a manual trans mission will fit on an automatic engine. I know how to swap but am just wondering if they CAN be swapped without buying a separate engine. Thanks
    Harley Festiva Dan

Topic moved

Yes they are the same engine. Search, there was a thread on this not long ago.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

the engines should be all the same except for the flywheel... i know there's vaccuum business and such that goes along with autos though that i'm not familiar with so someone will be along shortly with a more useful answer i'm sure.

Comment

Would I need to swap out drive shaft to the rear axle? Thanks to those who replied.
        Harley Festiva Dan

Comment

Originally posted by hdfestiva67
          Would I need to swap out drive shaft to the rear axle? Thanks to those who replied.
          They are front wheel drive, there is no drive shaft. If you search this topic has been covered with all the parts you will need.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

How many people are going to come and beat up the new guy and tell him to search, no wonder nobody stays.

Do you need a list of parts that you'll need to do the swap? Or a lead to get the parts? You can keep your motor but it is going to be alot of work. If the body is in really great shape and you plan on keeping it for a while, do the swap, but if it is not so great then I would not suggest it. If you need parts to do the swap let me know because I have a five speed parts car that I can sell you some parts from really cheap because I won't be needing them and I am not too far away.
            The Festiva Store
            Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Parts guy...

Yeah I'd love a parts list. I looked online for parts but struggled. The body has I think i counted 3 dime sized rust spots but I'm going to redo the entire car inside and out, school project. Let me know what you got. My email is dan.kavanaugh@hotmail.com
              Harley Festiva Dan

Comment

Clutch Kit
                Flywheel
                Tranny mounts(front and back)
                Shifter linkage and shifter
                Clutch cable
                Clutch pedal
                Cv axles
                Starter

There might be something else, and if so someone who has done the swap will chime in soon.
                The Festiva Store

Comment

I'll be doing the swap in two weeks, but I'll chime in, anyway.

I'm *pretty* sure you need all three pedals and the brackets from the MTX car. I would be elated if all I had to do was add the clutch pedal, but I'm expecting to change them all.

Otherwise, I think you've got it all. The radiator is different, with transmission cooler lines for the ATX, but I'm hoping I can just cap those and forget about them.

By "Tranny Mounts" I assume you're including the entire crossmember (tranny support)? I believe that needs swapped as well.

Like I said, I'll make it all crystal clear in a couple of weeks. I'm going to have the cars side by side and just swap one to the other. I'll take pics.
                  jeff

Comment

You will need to find a complete 5 speed parts car for this. This is the easiest way. It will be difficult to locate the parts piece by piece from different people.

Keep the auto radiator and just cap the tranny lines. It is a 2 core radiator, the manual is a single core.

Good luck

I hope I didn't come off as beating up on the new guy but this topic has been discussed before. Recently with an manual to auto thread.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Noname's parts car

How much would you sell me the car or all the parts you listed?
                      Harley Festiva Dan

Comment

Just come and pick them up. You can have the whole car. The car does not have a title, exhaust, motor, or descent interior, but it has everything to do the swap. If all the pieces are not there, I have the rest of the pieces in the car that is sitting next to it.

Matt, I was not trying to give you a hard time, everybody is new to this forum at one time or another and we should give a break to the new guys. IF they have 50 posts and ask this question then everybody should rip into them. I used to give the new guys a hard time but I got over and realized that it is not worth it and ripping into one new guy is not going to change the actions of the next new guy. If we answer there first question they might start looking around on this board and realize that the question has been answered before and they might look before they asked the next question. I just got upset when someone else posted after you did to tell the new guy to search when there was need to say it.
                        The Festiva Store

Comment

Working...
                        X