Things electrical, minor irritations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things electrical, minor irritations

Two Festies involved, first is '89 FI/auto trans and second is '90 w/5-speed, both stock.
    Car #1 has problem with A/C switch not dis-engaging. I can control on/off with the fan switch, and when it's off the light on A/C button goes out. Fan on, button light comes on and A/C works.
    With or w/o A/C working, when fan is on there's static on all but strongest AM radio stations, and buzz gets louder with fan running at higher speeds (positions 2 & 3) but no noise on FM. When I turn on the radio with Ign. switch on Acc., FM will come on immediately but AM waits for several minutes unless I turn on fan or push in the cig lighter. I"m guessing that the radio part is a ground issue and just wondered if there's an easily accessible place to add a ground for the dash so I don't have to go hunting behind everything to find the original grnd. and try cleaning it.
    Car #2 has lots of static on AM, but I'm wondering if that may be a symptom of an alternator going bad. When coasting with engine off (I have one long stretch on the way to town of about 4 miles to use stealth drive) I might have to use the brakes a couple of times so I'll leave the key off, drop 'er into 5th and momentarily engage the clutch to re-build vacuum in the booster. If the radio's on, while the clutch's engaged I get a "whreeeee" from the speakers. Not sure if this is another ground problem, either dash, radio or alternator, or a sign that I need to steal the alternator off my parts Festy ('93 5-sp.) or maybe just break down and buy a new alt.
    Anybody here care to enlighten me as to the best course to take?
    Right now the A/C thing isn't a real problem, as the car's black and if I take it down in the valley when the temp's 105F or so I use the air once in awhile. Just makes the engine work harder comin' back up the hill.
    All advice greatly appreciated.
    Rob J

Is it bad form to bump this, hoping to get some help?
    Rob J

Comment

sounds like a poor ground somewhere causing that type of noise, but that's hard to tell... i'd look into if the Alt is feeding AC current into the battery and go from there.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks for the comeback. I figure that I won't worry about that as much if nobody here thinks it might be a sign of the Alt goin' bad. The '90 is my Haulstiva, used for commuting and haulin' around stuff like gravel, 25 gallon propane tanks and just general abuse.
        Any insight as to the A/C switch would be nice. It's the '89 A/T that's the go-to-town car that Momma rides in, so I like to keep it in good working order.
        Rob J

Comment

Working...
        X