Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CEL codes: 08, 10, 15, 17. Would Seafoam cause any of these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CEL codes: 08, 10, 15, 17. Would Seafoam cause any of these?

Back story: Bought the car as a Title 42. Far as I can tell, its been sitting since '08. Gas was really varnishy smelling, but the car ran. The CEL came on a couple times, I noticed when I was lugging the motor, depress clutch, turn off, turn on, release clutch, light off.

Car ran, then didn't, ended up replacing the VAF.

Monday its down around 1/8 of a tank, so I pour in the whole pint of Seafood (says its good for as few as 8 gallons) and fill the tank with 100% gas 87 OCTANE. CEL now comes on more often, but I don't notice any loss of power or weird noises or any different feeling.

Now, based on some searching, I'm assuming the Airflow Sensor (08) and the Intake Air Temperature Sensor (10) are part of the VAF.

I don't understand the two O2 sensors (15 & 17), I see one at the manifold, is there another near the CAT? (too dark to look).

Right now, I'm thinking finish running through this tank (in two weeks, darn think gets good mileage) and then disconnect the battery after a new fillup and see what happens.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

the 15 & 17 codes are for rich & lean codes for the same o2 sensor and yeah the IAT and Airflow sensors are both in the VAF, but you may have a connection issue at the vaf causing all these issues.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

For what it is worth - I used Seafoam in my Festiva a couple of months back and got NO check engine light. I put about half the can in the gas and the other half in the oil about 100 miles before I changed it. It solved a valve ticking problem for me and the car ran better afterwards. First time I ever used it, but I am now a believer.

Comment

Okay, I'll double check the connector. Is there a way to bend the tabs for a better connection? This may have been my problem with my other VAF. I have some dielectric grease.
        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
        2005 Accord - wife's DD
        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

you may have to open the top up to repair some solder joints (typical issue with VAF units).
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Last night I pulled the plug, put a screwdriver on the terminals on the VAF and bent them down a tiny bit. Also put a new Gates alternator belt, the old one was squalling bad.

Tinker with the blue car last night, need to check for spark on it, and timing.
            2005 Accord - wife's DD
            2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
            X