No announcement yet.

Shaking/rattling sound on drivers side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaking/rattling sound on drivers side?

So I thought I may have needed to replace brakes and or springs ETC. There was a shaking type rattling sound coming from them whenever I stopped. More so during a turn or on a hill when braking. The sound even happened yesterday when I started the car up and drove but stopped when I got upto speed.

Well I went and got new pads today, got the wheel off and saw that the pads looked fine. I then noticed a broken boot and this:

Is that correct looking? I'm new to learning all this stuff so I don't know if that is how whatever that is should look or could cause the sound
    Previous owner of ZEFstiva

Outer tie rod end looks pretty shot. In that case you might as well replace the inner tie rod, control arms, and appropriate bushings too. Then get an alignment.

Is it just me or does your steering knuckle look bent?
    Last edited by xaero_81; 06-22-2011, 12:13 PM.
    -Donny
    -1992 Festiva GL
    B6D/E-series.
    -1991 GL
    BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

That outer tie rod is not the noise source. Try to hear what side its coming from. It sounds like its your CV joint. Because it happens when you turn more correct?
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Sounds like a cv joint to me. I would definitely replace that tie rod end. And like xaero said you might as well replace it all as cheap as it is then you don't have to worry about it.
        1921 Model T
        1940 Ford
        1960 F600 Fire Truck
        1963 Ford Falcon drag car
        1964 Ford Falcon Futura
        1964 1/2 Ford Mustang
        1966 Ford F100
        1973 Kenworth K100 Cabover 903CID Cummins
        1976 F650 Dump Truck
        1978 F150
        1980 F350 Pulling Truck
        1988 Ford Mustang GT
        1990 Ford Mustang LX
        1992 Ford Festiva
        1992 Dodge D350 Cummins
        2000 Ford F350 Super Duty 7.3 Powerstroke

You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do.-Henry Ford

Comment

CV joint clicks....does not rattle, It will make noises around corners but will not usually make any noise at all when driving straight. Tie rod definitely need attention. I would inspect the other items but not just go and replace them. The inner tie rods rarely go on our cars. If the bushings on the LCA are good ( no cracks, tearing , ect...) then I would leave them alone unless you have play in the joint. Rattling you are describing could be strut mounts wearing out , blown shocks ( look for seepage along the sides ). Could be other stuff too but not seeing it makes it kind of hard to guess over the comp.
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Does it rattle when you jump up an down on the front bumper? Does the car pump up and down a bit when you stop jumping? If yes to the first or no to the second you might look at the shock absorbers and springs in the strut tower.

Is the stabilizer bar loose in it's brackets?
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
            X