88 ignition help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is finally time to replace the module in the disty. Just my .02

You may be able to just find another known to be good disty from another member cheaper than replacing the module if you have anyone close by.
    Last edited by kartracer46; 06-30-2011, 08:23 AM.
    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

How would it not ground out through the dizy spinning it by hand? That still makes no sense at all.

I've got 4 cars atm and none of them run(parts on the way/boosted build/resto project) and I did order the module, still en route though.
      While it is running, it has a slight misfire at cruise. Perfectly fine wide open acceleration though, which is not indicative of a weak spark to me. No CEL's when the car is driving down the road.
      Last edited by TDI_ftw; 06-30-2011, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TDI_ftw View Post
        How would it not ground out through the dizy spinning it by hand? That still makes no sense at all.

I've got 4 cars atm and none of them run(parts on the way/boosted build/resto project) and I did order the module, still en route though.
        While it is running, it has a slight misfire at cruise. Perfectly fine wide open acceleration though, which is not indicative of a weak spark to me. No CEL's when the car is driving down the road.
        Because when you pull it away from the head its loosing its contact with metal. (I watched your vid ) Which by the way is a good trouble shooting tool. Anyway I'm 99.9% sure your problem is a very simple fix. Didnt you post somewhere that you had repaired a broken wire/terminal? All it takes is one strand of copper & she wont fly....Dont just get a new disty. You have good spark. Just fix that stray current you'll have more money for cold beer.
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I have a good carby disty here, I can send it to you and see if it fixes your issue. If it does you can just mail me your old one back and I will rebuild it.
          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
          82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Alright if the igniter I ordered doesn't fix this I'll keep that in mind, looks like its coming from tennasee to oregon, going to be next week =(

Comment

You can take the igniter (ignition control module) to an auto parts store and get it tested for free. Last one I bought cost $147 CDN. I got quotes up to $300 so it's worthwhile IMHO to get one tested before replacing.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I grounded the dizy with an extra wire as well, it's not an issue of grounding from the bolting of the dizy into the head that's the issue. I'm pretty sure it is the igniter, no I didn't know I could take that in and get tested, as parts counter guys aren't exactly on the best of auto knowledge list, they can't even get the right parts in my hand half the time.
                One test seems like it was bleeding cap, although I don't have a schematic of the internals of it.

Is there a guide that shows what pins to test to see if its good? I haven't found anything.
                Last edited by TDI_ftw; 07-01-2011, 07:15 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=TDI_ftw;431550]I grounded the dizy with an extra wire as well, it's not an issue of grounding from the bolting of the dizy into the head that's the issue. I'm pretty sure it is the igniter,

You really dont have any idea what I'm talking about do you? Why would you add a ground wire? Thats your problem,and now you just helped it.
                  Last edited by nitrofarm; 07-02-2011, 06:34 AM.

Comment

QUOTE=TDI_ftw;431320]How would it not ground out through the dizy spinning it by hand? That still makes no sense at all.
                    [SIZE="7"]
                    Watch your vid,what happens when you pull the dist away from metal and turn it by hand? You get spark.Why would you add a wire? Post a vid with this "added" wire and turn your dist by hand. Now what happens? NO SPARK,if youre so sure its your ignitor. How are you "magically getting spark when you pull the dizzy away from the head?
                    Last edited by nitrofarm; 07-02-2011, 06:53 AM.

Comment

The dizy ungrounded gets no spark when pulled away from the head. The wire was on there in that video I believe.

The dizy uses the engine as part of the circuit, ground. It has a power wire going into it, and two output signal wires.
                      Last edited by TDI_ftw; 07-02-2011, 09:20 AM.

Comment

FIXED!!!

New igniter and it fired right up. Irrational spark problem solved!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

If you want that igniter to last it would be a good idea to bed it in dielectric heat transfer paste, just like they do with the CPU on a computer. Helps protect from power surges and temperature surges. I had to replace one which was installed dry in my car at a service station. electronics stores sell little blisters of the stuff for a buck or two, enough to do two igniters (aka ignition control modules).
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Oh is that what it was for, yeah there's a little packet of it in there, I figured it was for the connections. I'll get that on there for sure.
                            The aluminum contact isnt enough for it?

There is some missing issues now, retimed and even retarded back a bit and it still misses at anything above part throttle, very annoying.

Comment

Gratuitous brake clean solved most of the hesitation from the coil arcing across. When the car bogged down the tach dropped as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X