Tach Cluster Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach Cluster Problem

I swapped clusters, everything works but the temp gauge. So i did a search, put a new 2 stage t-stat ,nope. Put in a new temp sender, nada. More searching ,maybe needle sticking on the litlle shield, ground it down (don't know how much to take, but took some off) still nothing! Put old cluster back in, you know it, gauge reads perfect. HELP, really like the cluster but not at the expense of a temp gauge.

swap the guts to the tach cluster
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Festyboy, the original cluster is tachless gauges are bigger, is that what you mean by "guts" swap?

Comment

the gauge FACES are bigger, but the motors/actuators are the same you should be able to replace just the coolent gauge motor.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Also check the back of the tach cluster for missing screws. I remember reading on here that someones tach wasn't working because a missing screw not making a connection.
          The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
          89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

the pins on the back where the wires connect are bradded to the circuit board an loose connection due to heat an age. if you can solder do yourself a favor an solder the pins to the board at the base of each pin.
            newport tn
            88 262,000 4spd hit in rear
            91 224,000 5spd daily driver since 2000
            91 81,000 5spd second owner
            90 204,000 5spd
            93 automatic rolled 25,000

Comment

Working...
            X