rear tail problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear tail problem

My rear tail lights have went out? I replaced both bulbs with new ones. I pulled every fuse out and checked them. All are good. Not in any kind of wreck or any thing? Any ideas where to look or check next? My blinkers and brake lights still work. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by naturallite7; 06-28-2011, 04:11 PM.
    Everythang is chickin' but the bill, stur it up real good and it's chickin' still...

Do the headlights and or parking lights work? Possible combi switch failure?
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

If the bulbs are known good, tailights not working is 99.44% of the time a grounding problem. Usually because of the distance, only power is in the harness for the tailights. They usually ground near the tailight somewhere and removing the screw/bolt and cleaning the surface and the eyelet takes car if the problem. I'm not sure if Festys are the same as most cars as far as the grounding of the tailights.
      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Take your multimeter and start checking back thru the harness connections to the switch or until you come to power, that's if the ground check doesn't apply or work.

Comment

thanks for the help

thanks for the help. I have some place to start looking. My head lights do work along with my brake light and blinkers. I just have no tail lights.
          Everythang is chickin' but the bill, stur it up real good and it's chickin' still...

Comment

This may sound stupid, but have you unplugged the tail light pigtails and checked for corrosion? That's the thing I'd do after checking bulbs and fuses.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by naturallite7 View Post
              thanks for the help. I have some place to start looking. My head lights do work along with my brake light and blinkers. I just have no tail lights.
              What about parking lights? Still may be a bad switch as well.
              The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
              89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Working...
              X