is this what I want???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this what I want???

I'm getting ready to cut my old shock bolts with a grinder I borrowed from my local mechanic (he was home for a change) and I'm going to need something to replace them with, I found this Dorman part, but I want to know if it's what I want to use to replace what I'm cutting up, since I could not get the bolts turning with any sockets (even for rounded bolts) that I own... http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7CGRP2037_____
    Last edited by DrMaxwellEdison; 06-28-2011, 07:59 PM. Reason: forgot link
    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
    89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
    Projects in the works:
    84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

no, you'll want coated grade 8 (10.8 metric) bolts. have you soaked the bushings and bolts with PB blast or the like for the past week or so? if no, you need to do that first before resorting to cutting them out. besides, how do you plan on cutting the inside of the bolt off (part closest to the swing arm) with a grinding wheel?.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The torch and PB blaster makes everything come out.
      91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
      14 C7 Z51

Comment

Heat almost always works... get 'em red and they should come right off.

Comment

I've used heat, PB and everything I've got in my toolbox, even went and got that Irwin socket set specifically sold for removing stripped bolts... the torch I have caught the bushings on fire (luckily I had a fire extinguisher handy)
          Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
          Projects in the works:
          84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

i managed to wiggle in a long metal cutting sawsall blade. it wasn't pretty but i got it done.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              no, you'll want coated grade 8 (10.8 metric) bolts. have you soaked the bushings and bolts with PB blast or the like for the past week or so? if no, you need to do that first before resorting to cutting them out. besides, how do you plan on cutting the inside of the bolt off (part closest to the swing arm) with a grinding wheel?.

do you know diameter bolt I'll need? I got it out now I'm in the process of getting it back together and I'm not going to "half *** it" that's why I discussed the part in question, now I'm trying to find the correct diameter bolt to go back in place of it, also, are the diameters different between festiva and aspires?
              Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
              Projects in the works:

Comment

IIRC it's an M8 x 1.25. i'll verify tomorrow.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by DrMaxwellEdison View Post
                  also, are the diameters different between festiva and aspires?
                  No, they are the same. I switched to Aspire struts and used the Festy bolts to install 'em.
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

did you get a chance to verify it Festy?
                    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                    Projects in the works:

Comment

unfortunately not but i can at work easily.

Comment

ok it's confirmed: M10 x 1.25 grade 10.8.

Comment

Working...
                        X