Turn Key, nothing. Turn key later, it starts. Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Key, nothing. Turn key later, it starts. Help

1990 ford festiva, automatic. Turn key, nothing. Wait a while, turn key, starts. Seems to start fine cold but when driven awhile and turn it off it will not start again for about 5, 10 minutes. When I turn the key the radio and everything work. I have cleaned both battery posts. Cleaned the fuseable links. Messed around with (moved) the wires on the starter. Still does this. I don't think its the starter but what do I know. Car has just turned over 100,000 miles. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Might want to take the ignition switch apart and clean the contacts. I was having a problem with mine recently, if I jiggled the key my aftermarket gauges would shut off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

ok, when you say you turn the key and nothing happens, do you mean it doesn't crank or it cranks but doesn't fire over?
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        ok, when you say you turn the key and nothing happens, do you mean it doesn't crank or it cranks but doesn't fire over?
        No cranking, no noise at all, no cliking. Total silence. The radio and lights work fine though.

Comment

Sounds like it could be a neutral safety switch issue. Next time it won't do anything, don't turn Tue key back off just leave it in the on position and shift into the neutral position. Then try and crank it again.
          Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
          93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
          91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
          93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
          15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
          88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

To clean ignition switch spray WD-40 liberally into ignition key hole.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

CHANGE the middle fusible link....when it is not working you will have the exact symptoms you are describing. You can get a cartridge fuse to replace it. Then go from there is it does not fix it.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

If the fusible link doesn't work. Rap on the side of the starter motor a couple of times with a hammer. I know this sounds counter intuitive but it's quick, free, and you'd be surprised how many Chevy starters (and one Festiva starter just last night) I've brought back to life doing this
                Last edited by Zanzer; 07-03-2011, 12:11 AM.
                If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                X