Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mufflers

Hi all,

My muffler has a fairly big rust hole in the bottom of the can & is resulting in some pretty bad noises. My car isn't currently 'on the road' or aircared yet so that still is ahead of me.

That in mind, what do I do as far as replacing the muffler, can I pretty much use any muffler, or does it need to pass certain specs in order to meet with emission testing etc?

Canadians may be good for some input here regarding aircare rules.
    1979 Civic - Work in Progress http://myhondafestish.tumblr.com/

Dont think the muffler really does anything about emissions, more the cat. Anything that fits is ok, depends on your preference on sound and style i guess.

Nick.
    93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
    98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
    98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

Lordco has an uber cheap stock bolt in replacement unit.

-Scott
      Aqua 93 L
      Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
      White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

ooo how cheap is uber cheap??
        1979 Civic - Work in Progress http://myhondafestish.tumblr.com/

Comment

Mufflers are not part of emissions control system. They just reduce noise like the silencer on a firearm.

After Midas ended it's lifetime warranty program I bought a muffler from Canadian Tire and put it on myself. There are two nuts or bolts on a flange at the front end with a gasket to keep the exhast from leaking out. Then there are 1-2 big rubber O-rings which are reused. Pry it (them?) off with a big screwcriver or similar.

Mufflers rust from the inside out so you don't see it until they are shot. The mufflers get hot so a lot of condensation goes on in there. There is a drain hole in the bottom you can keep clear by poking a nail in there every so often to prolong muffler life.

There is ascam to sell expensive catlaytic converters by telling people they are shot and blowing debris back into the muffler, destroying it. However, if the car is passing emissions there is nothing wrong with the converter. My '89 still has the original converter.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I got one from PAP and welded in myself. $5. Took me about an hour.

It was a replacement muffler from a Stanza with 250k on it.

It was longer than the one I took off, which was a replacement as well.
            1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
            1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
            1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
            1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
            2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
            2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
            2005 Accord - wife's DD
            2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
            2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I got mine from Advance Auto for $28. It was specific for the Festiva and had all the mounting rod pieces in place. Sprayed it with high-heat ceramic silver paint to help make it last longer, and enlarged the tiny hole that was already there to let condensation out.
              Last edited by TominMO; 07-07-2011, 11:33 AM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
              X