Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I believe my throw-out bearing is toast. (did search)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe my throw-out bearing is toast. (did search)

I about the last week, when first starting, there is a loud screeching, goes away when clutch is depressed. Stops after a few seconds. It's been progressively getting longer. Last night after church, it did it for about a mile. My other car has a new clutch kit in it, and I don't have the $90 for the Sachs clutch kit at O'Reilleys right now because if you have it apart, might as well do the whole thing.

How long does it take to pop the tranny to get to it? I'm considering just replacing the bearing (I know, I know, its against my better judgement).
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Yeah that sounds like the throw-out bearing. Well there's two ways, i generally like the first way. One way is to disconnect the engine and disconnect it from the tranny and remove the engine, then you can easily work on the clutch. The second way is to take out the axles and drop the transmission but then you are going to take the tranny oil out and it's also a little trickier to work on the transmission just being under the car the whole time.

Seriously just buy a new clutch set, I've always said do it once do it right. Don't wont to have to do it again a couple years later because you didnt change the clutch.

Depending on your skills i reckon it could be done 1-3 days. Have you taken out a clutch before?

Hope this helped,

Nick.
    93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
    98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
    98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

Not on a fwd, I can drop a toploader on my chest and have the clutch changed out in a classic mustang in an hour.

Ive had the auto in the shadow rebuilt twice.
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

you could remove the engine and fix the tranny and back in with the engine in a decent days work. Not an all day job....but not a couple hours either. I personally like pulling the motor to work on the tranny and such. Hate working on my back in the driveway and you have to get the car rather high to get the tranny out from under it.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

You might want to check the pilot bearing as well.
          Festiva/Mazda genetic splicing researcher B6T / G25MR for 5+ years and counting.
          187.7 WHP @ 5500 RPM

Comment

I have had 3 throw-out bearings go bad, in three different festy's.
            Everyone of them was doing just as you say yours is, all 3 of mine had worn into the fingers on the pressure plate. If you put a new bearing on worn fingers your just asking for trouble.
            Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
            1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Well, the Sachs kit is $90 and just the bearing is $35, so I'll do the whole thing.
              2005 Accord - wife's DD
              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Me thinks pulling the motor is extra work. I just pulled my aspire tranny with my Son. Had it out in @ 2 hrs. One axle took a lot of extra cus words. The new one went back in in @ 10 minutes with two guys. No Antifreeze on the ground either
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

beware be verry aware... i had this same problem a few months ago and thought the same thing throwout bering so me and my friend dropped the trans and sure enough there it was with the cheap plastic tabs broke just flopin around. so i got another one and put it on (metal tabs this time) finished the job then took it out and no more than 30ft from the drive way it started again. the problem wasnt just the bering it was the whole trans so you mite want to check thouroghly to make sure you didnt mess up the whole trans and not just the bering.
                  -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                  -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
                    beware be verry aware... i had this same problem a few months ago and thought the same thing throwout bering so me and my friend dropped the trans and sure enough there it was with the cheap plastic tabs broke just flopin around. so i got another one and put it on (metal tabs this time) finished the job then took it out and no more than 30ft from the drive way it started again. the problem wasnt just the bering it was the whole trans so you mite want to check thouroghly to make sure you didnt mess up the whole trans and not just the bering.
                    So I'm Assuming you are refering to the output bearing that failed. Not the "WHOLE" Trans.........
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I'm not so worried about the coolant, the real worry is the exhaust. I don't own a torch, I've had bad luck with exhaust studs in the past.
                      2005 Accord - wife's DD
                      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I went last night to pick up my cherry pickers I had loaned out. The seal on the pump at the jack handle had given up the ghost. I spent a few hours this morning getting everything disconnected, only have the fuel return line to disconnect, I'm waiting to raise the engine a bit to get at it.

My clutch kit came in at noon so I went into town to pick it up. Then went to Home Depot to get a 10x10 Quick Shade canopy and a 30" two speed fan. Gonna have.to work quite a bit to pay off that credit card. Got home and.set it up, the wife got out our portable misters and clipped them to the canopy, Boy Howdy, what a difference in this 108 degree heat!!!

Once that was set up, I had to fix the.cherry pickers. When in town I checked NAPA and OReilly's for a shaft seal, no dice. I remembered the neighbor kid giving me a jack for a failed cherry pickers he had tried to build. It was brand new, but lacked the eyelet at the bottom. Upon inspection, it is tapped for a 3/8" course thread bolt at the bottom of the cylinder, now I just need a plate about 4x6. I had a piece of 4" channel laying around, used a hack saw as the chop saw was buried. Found a 3/4" pipe coupling that the.bolt would fit thru and some telco shims from back in the day of installing equipment in cell tower shelters. Welded them to the coupling, checked for level, a quick hit with the grinder, no more wobble. Welded them on then drilled a 3/8" hole 2 3/8" back from the end. Perfectamundo!!!

Reassembled the picker, found my engine pulling chain, got my crevices out, now ready to pull after 4 more bolts. I'm taking a break now, eat some supper, then back out.
                        2005 Accord - wife's DD
                        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Hope it goes well for you!

I bought a 12 X 12 quick up shelter today for the same reason! To work on cars with the sun and any rain off of me.

My dream home would have a picnic shelter like roof to work on cars under! I like working outdoors, but I really like the shade.

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

It's 112 here now.

I hope to build a 3 car garage with heat and air.
                            Last edited by Larry Hampton; 07-09-2011, 04:44 PM.
                            2005 Accord - wife's DD
                            2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Okay, I'm nice and cool, cold even, but how the hell do I get the engine out of the bay? Looks like now I was supposed to remove the front drive (no one mentioned) in order to get clearance. The flywheel is a LOT thicker than I thught it would be. I've got the input shaft out, but not enough clearance to raise the engine.
                              2005 Accord - wife's DD
                              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                              X