Worrisome Crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worrisome Crack

Damn near 8" long, the most prominent part is what you see in the poorly lit, fuzzy pic. The problem is that it's actually sticking up out of the sill, close to the front of the door. I'm really worried that the structural integrity of this car has been greatly compromised. Any insights? For those who don't remember, my frame looks like this:

In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

just run it till the wheels fall off and then part it out but no highway driving!!!
    93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
    RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
    RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Looks like you shoulda jumped on the b6 swapped festy that was for sale in rock hill!
      "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Originally posted by lanemeyer14 View Post
        Looks like you shoulda jumped on the b6 swapped festy that was for sale in rock hill!
        No cash. Is my car really irreparable? I am trying to get this car to Madness! I have to go down the highway...
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I need a good roller for my XR2 swap. I've got so much into this car already, that I'm just going to swap it all into another car.

Comment

WHOA!! Das a pretty big spot mang!

Maybe you could cut out the bad stuff and rebox it with a thicker gauge steel. Add a flange to the upper side that could be plug welded to the floorboard for some added strength and overlap the existing good portion of the rail by several inches. Just an idea.
            If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
            Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
              WHOA!! Das a pretty big spot mang!

Maybeyoucouldcutoutthebadstuffandreboxitwithathick ergaugesteelAddaflangetotheuppersidethatcouldbeplu gweldedtothefloorboardforsomeaddedstrengthandoverl aptheexistinggoodportionoftherailbyseveralinchesJu stanidea
              I just had to make it so everyone could understand what you just said! Hahahahaha... I asked if I could have this done at a welder's, and they said 'no, it's not safe.' I went to a body shop. They damn near wouldn't let me leave with the car, and wouldn't "void the crumple zones."

Comment

That spot is minimal to many I've fixed in the past.

You're not going to get a body shop to touch anything near a crumple zone due to liability issues so you'll probably have to take it upon yourself to fix it it unless you know someone with a MIG welder. I wouldn't worry too much about a "voided crumple zone" seeing as it's current condition is an extreme crumple zone as evident by your cracked rocker panel. Also, there's no notch in the frame rail where that spot is, so it's being a crumple zone is debatable.

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
                  That spot is minimal to many I've fixed in the past.

You're not going to get a body shop to touch anything near a crumple zone due to liability issues so you'll probably have to take it upon yourself to fix it it unless you know someone with a MIG welder. I wouldn't worry too much about a "voided crumple zone" seeing as it's current condition is an extreme crumple zone as evident by your cracked rocker panel. Also, there's no notch in the frame rail where that spot is, so it's being a crumple zone is debatable.
                  Would you do it?

Comment

I can...if you quit making fun of the way I type :p LOL

Here's some of my work. And this one has 1 deleted crumple zone (but it's my car and it would be disclosed to any potential buyer if I were to sell it)

Before:

After:

WWZD
                    Zulu Ministries

Comment

It was in reference to the recent increase in illiteracy. So what you're saying is, if I move the Festiva outside, it'll be fine?

Comment

If you're asking if it would be ok to store it out in the elements with that big spot of rust under it I would say the more climate controlled you can keep it the better. If you move it outdoors it will be more exposed to moisture and that's never a good thing when you're talking about rust. If it were me I would take a brush on a drill or die grinder and remove as much of the rust as I could and then spray it with something like Rustoleum Rust Tough paint or rust converting primer at the very least. Better (for now) would be to blast it out and shoot it with some good epoxy etch primer. That would at least slow it down a good bit and protect it from the elements until you get a chance to repair it properly.

As far as just moving it around the driveway you should be ok. Not so sure about bumpy interstates and country roads though
                        Last edited by Zanzer; 07-11-2011, 11:05 PM.

WWZD
                        Zulu Ministries

Comment

I was just kinda bein' sarcastic. When can I drive up there?

Comment

If it were mine I would jack it up and support it in at least six spots (the more the better) and possibly put some temp cross bracing in to keep it from folding/collapsing. Then cut out the rusted away area of subframe/floor and replace with material that is stronger than the original.
                            You will need some decent cutting tools, a decent welder and possibly a torch.
                            If you can't weld or not good at it, grab a half case of beer and offer it to someone that can.
                            Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                            1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

^^ That was my plan as well....but I don't drink beer LOL

WWZD
                              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                              X