No announcement yet.

Adding A/C components from other cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding A/C components from other cars.

I haven't gone to school for a/c service and they probably don't teach a lot of this, but can condensors and lines be used from other applications and implemented to the mazda compressor and to the cabin? Is it all pretty universal with Japanese/Korean cars? Reason: free tercel available with cold a/c.
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

As long as the fittings match up then it should be possible. I doubt it would perform at peak efficiency due to differences in sizes, volumes, flow, etc. If the pulleys are similar enough you could probably even fab a bracket and tensioner and use the tercel's comp. If the fittings are different then you might be able to locate adapters somewhere, but I'd have no clue where. But there's always a chance they well match up too.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Id use a festiva or protege compressor, but lines to and from the front are a concern. Its already a headache because even getting festiva parts is a guessing game to me because I don't know how to tell what is mazda and what is dealer add on in the states. I could take pics of what i have and maybe paul can identify.
      1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Between 88-94 323s, early tracers, and the 90-94 proteges most of the lines/connections/components will interconnect with each other, at least out of a lot of cars I dealt with during my Franken AC build. The hard part with the lines is finding them the right length and with the proper bends in the hardlines section. And don't forget, if you have the correct pulley and the bracket to match the compressor you can bolt up a comp from any b series to any b series. I think I ended up using a B8 or BP protege compressor on a stock B3 actually.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

^^ i know a lot of truth in that. Heck maybe a z5 engine compressor would work too and they are so much newer, 134a cheap to fill after a leak etc. Yeah I am really concerned on the pipe fitting aspect of it, inside/outside diameter of them. IF you can get bends and L's cut and flared and so on. Have you ever seen all the drawers and drawers of green o rings in a tech's box for a/c service its really intimidating LOL

UPDATE: I see i need a "bubble flaring kit." Buy 200 dollars of tools, saves <$400 at a shop, and once i do another family members car its paid for itself and then some.
          The problem with a lot of schools is they don't teach you how to make things. If it breaks off you order full assemblies. I think this is a FB71 specialty. Think outside the FEDEX box.
          Last edited by getnpsi; 07-12-2011, 12:04 PM.
          1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Working...
          X